Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 03:07 AM

Default I\'d like to know some odds

can someone post or direct me to a post that will tell me some important odds for limit play (i.e.- odds that you are the only one holding a pair PF). I am thinking that such knowledge would help me in determining if I have pot odds to call the kind of close decisions I have been faced with. Usually I do a rough estimate in a matter of seconds, but to be honest I'd like to know with a little bit more certainty.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:28 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I\'d like to know some odds

If you want a rough estimate of the % you'll make something with two cards to come, you can multiply outs by 4. If you want a rough estimate of your odds with one card to come, divide (46-outs) by number of outs. If you have 6 outs it's 40-6, or 20-3, or around 7-1.

I don't consider knowing math to be that important, and this is coming from an engineering student. I've been down that path, calculating all kinds of odds, and it was just a big waste of time.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:38 AM

these types of things aren't crucial to being a winning player....but i find them kind of interesting also.

the appendix in super-system has some interesting numbers and odds..etc. and i enjoy perusing through those, but am also interested in more.

again, i'm not sure how much this silly stuff will help your game though....just because the odds dictate such-and-such that no-one else has a pocket-pair doesn't mean nearly as much as the betting patterns of the various players involved in the hand.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 PM

Yeah this isn't something I would base a majority of my play on, however I do find it fascinating and I find that it IS good for my mental game. If I feel I have odds, I have an easier time being aggressive and at this stage in my play (new player), I need that so I don't kill people who suck me out or play weak-tight.