Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Pre-flop Theory - want many or few opponents?

For years I’ve been playing live poker basing my Texas Hold’em pre-flop decision generally off Sklansky’s hand groupings. I now find myself playing online with Poker Tracker providing me a wealth of additional information to help make this decision. The more I’ve thought about how to use this additional information the more I have realized how little I really understand about the pre-flop decision process.

For instance, there are many hands like TT and KJs where I’m not really sure if I want to play against many or few players. This hand can win without improving against few opponents but it can also draw to a big hand that can beat many opponents out of a big pot. I find myself in the situation where I have a much better chance of predicting the number of opponents I will play against after I call or raise but not even understanding which situation I prefer. For example, I have TT in early position and my competitive intelligence is telling me that if I call I will get many callers but if I raise I will get very few (let’s also just assume for now that there is little chance of a re-raise). What is the correct play?

There are plenty of hands, such as 44 and 87s, where I know I want to play against many opponents. There are also hands like AJ and QQ where I think I want to play against few opponents. It is all the marginal ones in between that I’m curious about.

One theory I am bouncing around is that these “in between” hands play well against very few opponents and they play well against many opponents but do not play well against a medium number of opponents. On the face of it, a large probability of winning a small pot and a small probability of winning a large pot do not seem fundamentally any better than a medium probability of winning a medium pot.

That said, perhaps the difference lies in the fact that poker is not played “hot and cold” but rather there are bets and raises that I will have to call on the way to the showdown. In the situation where you are playing one of these hands I am describing as an “in between” hand against a medium number of opponents you may not have a medium probability of winning because these hands are easily “scared.” My TT against a medium number of opponents still has the chance of drawing to set (but for a smaller implied pot) but really doesn’t have much chance of winning without improving. The reason for this is that there are likely to be over-cards and almost certainly going to be bets from the medium number of opponents that may scare me into folding the best hand.

So if I am right about the “in between” hands not liking medium numbers of opponents then is my correct strategy to accentuate the situation that I am presented with? That is, if I’m in middle position and everyone folds to me should I raise these hands so I can play against fewer opponents? And, if everyone calls to me should I just call so there are more calls behind me?

If I am on the right track here, how do I know which hands fall into this ‘already made’ or (but not “and”) ‘drawing’ category? Or is it the case that all the hands where it isn’t clear if I should raise or call are situations where the optimal choice is only marginally better than the second best choice?

Finally, does anyone understand how the artificial intelligence community goes about making this pre-flop decision for their bots?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Pre-flop Theory - want many or few opponents?

I used to think playing preflop was easy. After all, if you have a chart, you can just do exactly what it says! Wrong. So much depends on your opponents. If a weak, predictable player who plays any 2 cards limps and you have A9o with tight blinds, this is a great spot to raise. However, if a strong, tricky, tight player open-limped, and the blinds are loose, then you should muck the hand. As simple as preflop strategy sounds, there are so many different situations that you need to be able to recognize the strength of a hand. But I think you realize all this.

KJs is a big "depends" hand for me. Depending on the game, I can play it completely differently. If you can be more specific, I can give you my take on it. For me, TT is a raise from any position after any amount of limpers, unless I'm in a tough game (and I've never actually been in a tough game). It wins more than its fair share. If there are something like 3 limpers to you and you have the button, I think it's pretty neutral whether to raise or call. I usually go with the raise, because I enjoy raising.

In general, I don't think it's necessarily all that important to consider whether you want more or less people when raising from EP. The way I think of it now is "are people going to call me with worse hands?" If the answer is yes, then I'll raise. If people want to cold-call my TT raise with A7o or 65s, that's good for me. The same goes with JJ from the BB. Sure, you won't chase anyone out, but your hand is so much better than everyone else's that you want to push the big edge that you have. I do consider how many people I want when I'm raising in LP. If I have something like A9o in the CO and it's folded to me, I don't want callers, so I'll raise.

As for drawing hands, I tend to play pairs and suited aces anywhere. If you are trying to improve, playing a lot of suited aces will really help your post-flop game. They put you in many difficult situations since you likely have a sub-par kicker. I tend to stear clear of suited connectors. Having them out of position often puts you in a bad situation. In LP, they are nice to have with a lot of people in, but in general I think they tend to leak chips, at least for me (maybe I'm just playing them wrong).

So, if you want, be more specific and I'll try to better answer the question. I'm no expert, but I am pretty good a regurgitating what I've read by people who are.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for drawing hands, I tend to play pairs and suited aces anywhere. If you are trying to improve, playing a lot of suited aces will really help your post-flop game. They put you in many difficult situations since you likely have a sub-par kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Thief,
Playing Axs from any position is a bad idea, particularly A8s-A2s. It will not flop hard enough often enough to show a profit. The game conditions would have to be extremely right to play this hand from early position,,, extremely loose passive. You definetely want a lot of callers with these hands. If you routinely play it from early position, you will be losing money, save your bet. There are too many people to act behind you, and you definetely don't want to be isolated with one or two others going into the flop.

Summary: Fold medium to low Axs from early position!

miamikid
Old 04-30-2004, 02:52 PM

Interesting....

I Play AXs from any position and will even cold-call a raise with it. So far I am making money overall with AXs:

Overall: +0.21 BB/hand
Best Hands: A9, A3 & A8
Worst Hands: A5, A7 & A4

First 4 Positions: +0.12 BB/hand
Best Hands: A9, A8 & A3
Worst Hands: A7, A2 & A5

Last 4 Positions: +0.26 BB/hand
Best Hands: A3, A6 & A2
Worst Hands: A5, A4 & A7

Blinds: +0.60 BB/hand
Best Hands: A2, A8 & A4
Worst Hands: A9, A6 & A3

I am slightly negative (-$0.34 BB/hand) when cold-calling a pre-flop raise with AXs.

The above results were in the $0.50/$1 & $2/$4 tables over about 15,000 hands. When I limp with AXs, I want limpers and I WANT a late raise behind me (I'd rather it not be 3-bet, though, unless a lot of players are along for the ride)...that way I KNOW that I have someone to check-raise when I hit.

It's paying off for me now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Spyder
Old 04-30-2004, 03:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you can't lump them all together because they're different hands. -.034bb/hd is HUGE, and a 15k database is tiny.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:42 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I don't think cold-calling raises with these hands is a good idea in a non-blind without a LOT of people seeing the flop.

And you definitely do NOT want someone raising your limp.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:49 PM

Playing Axs from any position is a bad idea, particularly A8s-A2s.

no it's not

It will not flop hard enough often enough to show a profit.

yes it will

The game conditions would have to be extremely right to play this hand from early position,,, extremely loose passive.

like Party Poker games? and I contend that looseness doesn't matter very much. aggressiveness matters. I definitely don't mind seeing an unraised flop 2-4 ways with a suited ace, but if there's a good chance it's going to get raised behind me, I won't play.

You definetely want a lot of callers with these hands.

so you wouldn't want a suited ace headsup?

If you routinely play it from early position, you will be losing money, save your bet.

if you aren't routinely playing a hand like A8s from EP in online games, then you're losing money

There are too many people to act behind you, and you definetely don't want to be isolated with one or two others going into the flop.

that's ok, because the games I play are passive. I don't play 15/30 where there's a good chance it'll get raised behind me.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:18 PM

"Summary: Fold medium to low Axs from early position!"

I agree with this. Unless you are playing very low limit where there are consistently 4-6 people in for one bet.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM

Well, after looking at those results, I've decided to stop cold calling raises with AXs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Spyder
Old 04-30-2004, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and a 15k database is tiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it really bugs me when people say things like this. I'm a degreed person in Computer Science with a minor in Math...I KNOW how significant the numbers are in the DataBase. Just because the sample is small doesn't mean you can't derive useful information from it. This kind of comment sums up to be a simple "I'm better than you and you need to get over it." comment. It doesn't help anyone, and it pisses some of us off. Most of us don't like to be talked down to.

Now, on to your constructive comment:

[ QUOTE ]

-.034bb/hd is HUGE

[/ QUOTE ]

As I replied above, after looking this information up, I've decided to quit cold-calling raises with these hands...it might save a buck or two [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Spyder