Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Any online players get that itch to play live?

I play online about 3 hours per day on average. I do this because it's so profitable and I enjoy it and there isn't a cardroom by my school.

The past week I've had this super big itch to play live. I haven't played in about 3 weeks and it's buggin me hehe. It's nowhere nearly as profitable. Terrible ev compaired to playing online, but it's so much more 'fun'.

One more week to go before I can play live again...couldn't come quick enough.

Just basically wondering if there are many other people that give up like -50 per hour by playing live just for the enjoyment of it?

Multitabling + higher limits for bad players makes the difference for me...
Old 04-29-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Any online players get that itch to play live?

[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling + higher limits for bad players makes the difference for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I also get the itch to play live a lot. I like playing live sooooooo much more. Anyway, the above quote, are you saying higher limits have worse players online? I find it the complete opposite. Live games are so much softer in my experience.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 PM

depends on wehere you play when.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 PM

I know I for one play worse starting hands live out of boredom. Online I can wait out my poor pockets, since I have 3 tables open and see about 60 or more hands/hour at each table. Whereas live, if I hit a cold spell, I'll start throwing money in the pot with suited Queens and unsuited connectors just to get some action. But, I agree I have more fun in a live game.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 PM

Anyway, the above quote, are you saying higher limits have worse players online? I find it the complete opposite. Live games are so much softer in my experience.

I happen to agree. You cannot find a bad $10-$20 or $20-$40 game on the weekend at the Borgata.

Your one smart cookie [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 PM

I prefer the live experience myself. I know it isn't as profitable, but the atmosphere makes up for the dollars for me. UNfortunately, I don't have easy access to a decent cardroom, so those sessions are rare treats; I spend most of my poker time on-line.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:26 PM

The further you get away from taking money out of people's pockets, the less satisfying it is. Watching digital chips slide towards your icon is less satisfying than having a dealer push a mountain of chips accross the felt, which in turn is less satisfying than grabbing a stack of bills out of the center of the table.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM

It also hurts less when I get sucked out on...because I have 300BB in my online roll sitting there so it's not a big deal. When you only buy in for 25 big bets and have to keep reloading when you get to like 15 those pots hurt more.

It's also nice not to have to carry around/withdraw/deposit cash.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:19 PM

Actually the cash is one of my favorite parts. I've only played live about 3 times, but there's something about buy-in and getting a few more hundreds back then you started with. I also find the competition MUCH softer. The 4/8 game I play is at times comparable to the .50/1 games on party. Usually it's about 1/2 or 2/4 though.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The further you get away from taking money out of people's pockets, the less satisfying it is. Watching digital chips slide towards your icon is less satisfying than having a dealer push a mountain of chips accross the felt, which in turn is less satisfying than grabbing a stack of bills out of the center of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we play poker for different reasons [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]