Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Tough one for me.

I really thought about checking the turn through here, but I don't know if that's the right move... I think I could smell the check-raise coming.

I didn't have a good read on the SB one way or the other, and I admit the pre-flop 3-bet followed the check/call on the flop puzzled me. (I think that's why I wanted to check behind on the turn.)

How do you guys play this one against a "typical" player?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (11.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ac Ad (full house, aces full of jacks).
Hero shows Ks Ah (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB. </font>
Old 04-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Tough one for me.

I check behind on the turn, but I'm not exactly sure why. There is a concept of checking behind when your hand improves, but I'm not sure how it applies here. The other issue is that I'm hopelessly behind AA &amp; JJ, way behind KK, and wouldn't like it if a T hit the river.

I hope one of the mavens comments on this hand. I really need some kind of theory to apply to this situation.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:18 PM

I play it the same way you did, then note that the unnatural check with this player might be dangerous.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:44 PM

I know the concept you're talking about, and I had it in the back of my mind during this hand, but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I couldn't remember (or didn't know) if it applied to this particular situation or not.

I'm still not sure, but for some reason I believe the concept I'm thinking of isn't applicable for this hand (though checking the turn through for other reasons might be).

I was glad to hear Bob say he'd play it the same way though.