Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 09:32 PM

Default cardplayer article: california middle limit holdem

"I was in the big blind with pocket eights. Seeing six limpers already in, I tapped. The flop was dreadful for my hand, coming down Q-J-10 triple-suited. If anyone bet, I was gone. Surprisingly, all seven players checked! At this point there was no card that could fall that would give me a warm feeling inside. Even if I made the straight with a 9 on the turn, I would likely muck. Then, a second 10 fell on the turn, and I perked up. It sure was a scary board, wouldn't you say?

Everyone checked to the button, who bet. Through observation, I had determined him to be the prime candidate to go for a steal. That coupled with the very tight image I had cultivated up to this point and my prime position meant I had an excellent opportunity to bluff. I raised, and they all fell like dominos, except for one big-time calling station. Even the button, who clearly did have a strong hand, eventually mucked reluctantly. I was left heads up with a guy I was certain was on a draw. The river ragged off and I bet. My opponent released his cards immediately, and I took down the pot containing 15 bets...

In the above hand, I overheard the button say he had flopped two pair, queens and jacks, and was schooled enough not to pay for what he perceived to be a long shot. Getting back to the main point of this column, the tight-passive player will not tend toward plays of this nature. Therefore, when you face a raise such as the one I made here against him, you can muck your two counterfeited pair unless you're getting the 11-1 or so odds to justify continuing."

Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: cardplayer article: california middle limit holdem

So he criticizes tight-passive players for always being scared that a better hand is out there and then he says that he will fold if he makes the straight.

This is just a confusing and poorly written article.

So his point is that I shouldn't pay off tight-passive players. OK, thanks.