Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Huge Overbets on Flop

I took a break from my usual SNGs to play some low limit on Party and clear the reload bonus. The following scenario happened a number of times over 500 hands.

MP1 Limps, I limp on the button, both blinds call/check. Four see a flop of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Both blinds check MP bets $39.00 on a pot of $1.90

I just can't come up with any scenario where this is playing smart. Possibilities:
1) pure bluff
2) Great hand (AA or set) and hoping someone will be foolish enough to call
3) ??

Does anyone do this or understand in what circumstance it makes sense ??

thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Huge Overbets on Flop

People do it to elicit action at the table. Sometimes it will be a bluff, other times they will have a monster. If the player is smart about it (i.e. switches gears at the right times), then he'll have control of the table and you won't be able to put him on a hand when he raises. Your only defense will be to fire back when you have a monster... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 02:47 PM

I have never and would never do it. You're risking 40 to win 2. On the off chance someone else has TT, you're throwing away a lot of money. If you yourself have TT, you'll likely get a lot more out of it by playing reasonably.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:14 PM

I would not do it, because it makes no sense to play any hand by massively overbetting the pot that much. Plays like this are classic at Party. I have seen anything from a monster to pure bluff. Pick them off when you have a set yourself.

The only case I can think of when it may be okay to do something like this is when you have the nuts on the river and your opponent is tilting or thinks you're trying to push him off his hand.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:35 PM

In certain situations this play is correct. At some low limit tables you get a few people who will basically call any bet you make with any hand or draw. If you have the nuts and one or two of these types are in with you, why not take a shot.

I only do this very occasionally and only when I've observed that the player is likely to call me. At the 50 to 100 buy in NL level you get people who really don't care about the money at all. I am much more likely to come in with a huge raise than an overly large initial bet when I flop a monster however, as people at this level sometimes find it very difficult to fold after betting.

Basically, the correct play is the one that makes you the most money, and in a few situations betting/raising all in with a big flop will make you more money than trying to bleed your opponent.