Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 03:46 AM

Default Hand from a 10+1 PP SnG.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

UTG (t645)
MP (t1845)
DCIAce (t2165)
Button (t1390)
SB (t1080)
BB (t875)

Preflop: DCIAce is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">DCIAce raises to t450</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t645 (All-In)</font>, DCIAce calls t195.

Flop: (t1365) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t1365) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t1365) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t1365
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t1365 (t1365), between UTG and DCIAce.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by DCIAce (t1365).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 6c 6s (two pair, nines and sixes).
DCIAce shows As Qs (straight, queen high).
Outcome: DCIAce wins t1365. </font>

Anyways, does anyone like this preflop play? People at the low-limit SnGs are notorious for limp-calling any Ace, KQ, KJ, and small pairs.
Main reason I bothered posting this, was that the guy that lost the hand stuck around for an hour badgering me about how bad the play was. He acted like I put some horrible beat on him, and harped about how he played the hand well. Am I the only one that counts two large errors there (preflop limp and throwing off the rest of his stack preflop with garbage)?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Hand from a 10+1 PP SnG.

You were fine - if I was going to raise the guy (and I was, believe me), I probably would've cut out the middle man and just raised enough to put him all-in anyways before the flop.

Ignore foolish ranting from a guy who got in a race situation with a low pair and was upset when you hit one of your 10 outs with a hand like AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

This thing took AN HOUR to finish with only 5 left? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 04:36 AM

Only problem here is that you raised so much, it'd be very hard to get away from this one. What would you have done if the button pushed all-in?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 AM

You're right, a slightly smaller raise may have also been in order, but that only invites the later players to come in cheaper.

A better play here probably would have been, as the intent was to isolate the short stack (I can only assume, because otherwise then I DEFINITELY don't raise this big, for just the possibility of someone coming in bigger), just move all-in yourself. You're not a big dog to anything but KK and AA if those HAPPEN to be behind you, and you're good against most non-paired hands.

A slightly confusing hand since you raised one limper so much...actually, the more I think about it the more I like a raise in the 250 area, for just 5xBB. The intent to call if this guy goes all-in is still there, and it would probably be effective enough to scare off mediocre hands behind, but leave you room to bail to an all-in from one of the larger stacks.

It's late, I may not be 100% coherent, I'll come back to this later to see if I'm making sense... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 AM

Button had been playing fairly tight. I'd have mucked if he went all-in, before calling 1000 more. SB and BB seemed fairly average, I think I'd have grit my teeth and called the extra 300/500, if either of them came over the top.

Interesting point, about the size of my isolation raise..

Let's say I raise to T300. Button and Blinds fold, and UTG calls.. flop comes down and UTG pushes his last 350 chips in. Knowing that alot of people push here with pretty much any two cards (A-x, KQ, KJ, QJ being hands I can beat).. what do I do? Are the 2-1 pot odds good enough to call?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:48 AM

I can't see pushing all-in here. If the button calls an all-in, I'm pretty sure I'll see AA, KK, AK, QQ, maybe JJ.

My intent was to isolate the UTG short stack, while leaving myself enough wiggle room to escape from a monster behind me. After some thought, I think a T350 Raise would've been optimal.

Also, it didn't take an hour, but it felt like an hour. I'm always compelled to argue with idiots. Makes me chuckle, at times. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 07:54 AM

Hi Edge - after turn card I count 16 outs not 10.

stoneii (pedantic!)
Old 04-28-2004, 08:26 AM

Just out of curiosity, since the play comes back to UTG and he is somewhat short stacked wouldn't his play of all-in make sense? He knows the play is heads-up at this point, and isn't his 66 the favorite against any hand other then a larger pocket pair and some suited connectors like J10s? If I'm not mistaken I think there are only 13 hands which are better pre-flop then his 66. Given the amount of starting hands possible it would seem like this hand may have a slight advantage or be 50/50. I may be wrong, I'm definately no expert. Just curious to see what others think.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:07 PM

I know many don't limp early with small pairs, but limping with 66 is no grave error in my opinion. And I wouldn't call your big raise with it either, but pushing (given his dwindling stack) wouldn't be the worst play I've ever seen.

Like others have said, I wouldn't raise as much as you did. But none of that can explain why he might badger you for the rest of the tourney. He's just being a clown.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not a big dog to anything but KK and AA if those HAPPEN to be behind you, and you're good against most non-paired hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to nitpick, but I believe AQ is would be a big dog to AK.