Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Where to read about shorthanded play online?

Our homegames are often shorthanded with 5-7 players on avereage. I dont feel comfortable playing with this few people after getting used to 9-10 at each table online. And in most cases thats the reference in the litterature to.

So where should I go for info on the shorthanded games online? Any articles/sites that stick out as good ones? Any discussions in these forums?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Where to read about shorthanded play online?

HEPFAP, Part Five (page 184) is all I have.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:49 PM

Yeah, there are some pointers there. But much of it is for heads up play etc, and that gets a little extreme in the other direction. I would like something more for 5-7 players or thereabouts... (I am still using a lot of the S/M stuff, but I already "know" that so I was looking for something else.

Thanks for the tip though!
Old 04-27-2004, 10:00 PM

Jason Pohl has a series of articles at poker pages on shorthanded play.

Abdul has an article on shorthanded play at live action poker.

I don't play very much shorthanded poker, so I can't vouch for the quality of these articles, but it might give you some ideas.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:53 AM

Heads-up & Short-handed section right here on 2 + 2. Some pretty darn good sh-t in there. Start browsing that every couple of days, and you'll be destroying folks in your home game when it gets down to 5-7.

Somebody is going to make some good $$ when they write a solid and detailed book devoted entirely to proper shorthanded play. Until then, 2+2 is a great resource to help sharpen your SH game.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:12 PM

Absolutely read the short-handed forum here. There are good threads you can look up on starting hands etc. Then if you have the bankroll, play party $1/2 6 max tables to get a taste and you will destroy your average home game. The main adjustments (assuming you are playing a solid tight-aggressive ring game) will be to increase your %VIP a bit, raise more preflop, limp much less, etc. A quick adjustment however is to play preflop as if you were in a similar position to the button in a ring game (i.e. if you are 3 off the button first to play in a 6 person game, play as if you were 3 off the button in a 10-person ring game and everyone before you folded).