Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default How would you profile this player

Slavic was sweating me on this hand. After watching the opponent for a bit, we came to pretty much the same conclusion.

Mucks 10-20

I open UTG with AQs. All fold to BB who calls. Ive never played with her before.

Flop K T 6 two tone, my tone WOO HOO!!!

check, bet, call

Turn Blank woo hoo...

check, bet, call

River Blank Dammit!!!

Check, desperation bet, 'CMON YA OLD BAG, FOLD!!!', call

I turn over saying i missed and her K was good. She mentions she doesnt have a K. I ask," Ten?"

She chuckles, 'nope.'

She turns over Q6.

well? what ya think?

b

btw...Both Slavic and me agreed that i shouldnt have bet the river given the 'way' she called the turn. But, oh well. Small mistake.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: How would you profile this player

Calling station.

Regardless of the 'way' she called on the turn - you are heads-up last to act with the nut no-pair against a calling station (even if you havent seen her play a hand you can start to label her) - check it through. Your hand will be good here often; unless you really dont want your hand shown I think it is best to check here.

She is not thinking of her hand as a 5-outer, it is a made hand.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:29 AM

Sweet, the 10-20 players at Mucks are just like the 4-8 players. You gotta label 75% of the people here as loose passive calling stations. I went down there last Friday, were you there? I saw a Bernie A. and a Bernie S. on the waiting list.

Schaefer
Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 AM

In the limits I play, these people are the dreaded and unbluffable calling stations. A bet on the river would not have pushed her off.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:01 PM

Sounds to me like the typical old lady players. You can pretty much sit down, count the chairs they fill and know that if they touch the board and it isn't obvious they are beat, they are going to show-down.

If you make even one move and these ladies see it, they will call even more - especially making overcalls they might not make normally.

Great players to have around when you're making hands, horrible players to bet the river Ace-high against.

Btw, these are also the kinds of players that will only raise with an honest to God hand (2-pair or better). And almost never on a draw.

- Jim
Old 04-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Calling station city. You don't bluff against them, you just value bet the hell out of them. If they bet, you better have the goods to continue.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:06 PM

I havent had TOO much experiences with these old ladies, but the few times that I did I got shot the dirtiest look on a flop raise, that I did not dare to raise her again.

Bob and Endian, do you find these old ladies to be consistent losers? They are not particularly tight and they fail to value bet often - yet they seem to consistently last in these games.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:17 PM

I don't know any of them personally so I can't tell for sure what their win/loss rate is. If I had to guess, I would say marginal loser/winner depending on their starting requirements.

And oh boy do they ever get pissed if you check raise them. Shoot, I picked up a pot by CRing with a pair of 7s with a weak kicker that this one lady wasn't even in and she glared at me lol.

Honestly, I think these old ladies are the most consistent personality type at the low limits. You can generally tell things about old/young men and young women, drunks, etc, but old ladies must have all read the same book 30 years ago.

- Jim
Old 04-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Lol, i hear you on that one - haha. The old lady at the Mirage that looked at me, I felt was cursing the day I was born. As if I insulted her entire family, stole her savings and beat up her cat - jebus!

well, leave them be i guess - hope they are having fun doing what they are doing.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the limits I play, these people are the dreaded and unbluffable calling stations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreaded?