Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM

Default A bit unsure about my play on this one

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

No idea about the opponent I'm up against here.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>
Old 04-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: A bit unsure about my play on this one

Looks like your opponent missed his flush, and you missed a few bets.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Yeah i agree with MG in NJ, i think you shouldve bet the turn and then depending on his action (i.e. raise or call) bet the river as well.Flop play seems good to me though.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 PM

You think?
I'm not used to people capping with a flush draw. I was VERY tempted to bet the turn, and would've if he hadn't capped the flop.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 PM

Many players I will know will do with to get a free card or to build a huge pot. Some do it for both.

In AC it appears to standard play to raise the flush draw on the flop if players have already called a bet. Players will not raise if nobody has already voluntarily entered the pot.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:03 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I like your line here. I wouldn't have played it any differently.

The reason I don't like betting the turn is because you are in a bad spot if you get raised. If he's capable of capping the flop headsup with a flush draw, he can raise you on the turn also (admittedly that isn't likely).

Mike, what do you do if you're raised on the turn? Do you really think it's that likely that his opponent doesn't have him beat after capping the flop?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:10 PM

Mike, what do you do if you're raised on the turn? Do you really think it's that likely that his opponent doesn't have him beat after capping the flop?

What hands do you give him that can beat your hand on the turn? I think hero gave the villian a cheap shot at the flush. To me this smells like a nut flush draw.

Although I see this as the default play so often I might have a jaded opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

What hands do you give him that can beat your hand on the turn? I think hero gave the villian a cheap shot at the flush. To me this smells like a nut flush draw.

Although I see this as the default play so often I might have a jaded opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the part that has me confused is the weak cold-call preflop with no one in between followed by the excessive flop action. if he has AK and is that passive he won't cap the flop, so he can't have AK. I don't think you can assume a typical player, or anything close to one, would play K5 or K7 in this spot. so the only hand that beats him is a set.

let's assume he'll play any suited ace A8s or up. that leaves 5 combinations. for a set there are 6 combinations assuming he doesn't have KK. from my experience, the people at 2/4 often like to slowplay their big hands, so I guess you have me believing that more than half the time it'll be a flush draw with an overcard.

being wrong sucks [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 08:36 PM

I'm used to raises, but not capping. But I should've bet the turn regardless. I think...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:37 PM

I'm with you entirely. When someone caps me on the flop, I start to give them credit for a good hand, but if you look at the board, it's not possible for him to have anything other than a flush draw or set. I really have to start looking at the board more.