Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Limit player wants to learn No Limit

I already have TPFAP, although I admit I haven't given it a through read yet because I haven't played many tournaments.

I'll probably be playing micro no limit tables when I first start out. Ring games, probably very few tournaments.

I'm looking for one or two books to help me adjust to no limit.

There seems to be a lot of fans of Pot Limit and No Limit Poker by Bob Ciaffone & Stewart Reuben on this site. I'm a little worried that I might need something more basic at first. I have never seen this book in a store so I'm not sure how advanced it is.

I did see a new book by Tom McEvoy & Brad Daugherty at a book store recently. I think it's called No Limit Hold'em? Mason gave it a positive review (8), and said it was good for beginners, but didn't really give any other details.

What book(s) should I get?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Limit player wants to learn No Limit

There aren't a lot of choices.

The NL section of Brunson's "Super System" helped me, though most of the rest of the book is dated.

I did see a new book by Tom McEvoy & Brad Daugherty at a book store recently. I think it's called No Limit Hold'em? Mason gave it a positive review (8), and said it was good for beginners, but didn't really give any other details.

I looked through this at the bookstore. It assumes no poker knowledge at all for the first chapter. After that they assume you are a limit player who is just starting out in NL. Given Mason's review, it's probably a good choice for you.

Lowest price I've seen is $17.47 + shipping at B&N online. Overstock.com is often best for books but they don't have this one.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 AM

Buy.com $16.59 No-Limit Texas Hold'em: The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game

Shipping is free for orders over $25, so find another book you want along with it. Buy.com has some great prices on books.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:01 AM

But 2 books at Cardplayer.com and they will credit your UB account with 20 bonus dollars. So essentially , you can get another book for free.

Lost Wages
Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 AM

The Tom McEvoy & Brad Daugherty book is written for tournament play with one chapter at the end on the adjustments to make if playing ring games. It's a good book for limit players wanting to learn no-limit.

Super-System should probably be your next read. After that you can read Ciaffone.

Of course the No-Limit forum should be on your reading list as well.

Lost Wages