Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 05:18 PM

Default 99 UTG.

Online 3-6 game. Moderately loose, but there has been a recent turnover in players.

I open raise with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG, EP, button, and both blinds call.

flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I bet, EP, Button, and the BB call.

Turn, Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Ding! I bet, EP calls, button and the BB fold.

River, 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check, EP bets, I checkraise, EP thinks for a while, and reraises, and I cap it.

Everyone, can probably come close to guessing his hand, do you like my play on the river, or should I usually bet out here?

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: 99 UTG.

I like betting and 3 betting better. Its not gauranteed that he's made a hand by the river.

Keep in mind that I probably don't checkraise the river enough.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:26 PM

I think the CR worked out great, but I would have been scared that the 4th spade would scare a small flush into checking behind. How did you come to a decision to CR the river, rather than betting out? Was it to induce a bluff in case he didn't have the flush, but you wouldn't really be losing if he did have the flush?

matt
Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 PM

My thinking was, any spade might bet if I check, and any hand without a spade might try and steal the pot from me.

The spades will probably call a checkraise, and the spadeless hands, might not even call my first bet.

I would still be feeling pretty silly, if my opponent checked it through though.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM

Here are the basic situations I see, and why one or the other approach is better, in my opinion:

Small flush (2 spades): Betting is better, a small flush might check the river
Large Flush (2spades) : If opponent has the nut flush, either is good, however I think betting is better if it's a non-nut. More people will raise and call with K high flush than will 3-bet with it
No flush : Checking better

That's why I'd advocate for betting out.
matt
Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? not likely but it's just a guess

I like check-raising the turn better than check-raising the river. but either way, I don't like check-raising the river. the reason for this is that you've bet the whole way. that means he isn't likely to put you on a boat. since he isn't putting you on a boat, he will likely raise a high [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], maybe even the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]... if you check, he might check through with something like trip queens that he otherwise would've called with.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:41 PM

How did you come to a decision to CR the river, rather than betting out? Was it to induce a bluff in case he didn't have the flush, but you wouldn't really be losing if he did have the flush?

Well, there were always players to act behind him, and he coldcalled, and then just kept calling after the flop. I thought that if he had any kind of made hand, he would raise, and try and eliminate/charge any draws for sticking around, and if he was drawing, he probably had to have at least one spade, or the board would have been too scary for him to chase. It happens all the time, that the fourth suited card wrecks your hand, (they don't know that I am a member of the 'Clarkmeister bet the fourth suited card congregation') so I thought that this would be a good time to pretend that card had counterfeited my hand.

I also thought that he might take a stab at the pot if he didn't have a spade, just because I might fold if I really believed that the card counterfeited me.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:41 PM

Bet it and hope for a raise.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:42 PM

I would play this hand quite different...
I would not raise pre-flop letting more people in.
If I flop a set I would try for a check raise to thin the field.
If I miss the set and the flop had overcards and some action I would fold.

With a raise you are working to limit the field pre-floop with the hope that 99 will hold up with no improvement.
However if you get three callers the 99's most likly will need to improve. With the raise when you don't hit the flop you may be more inclined to play on..

Just my ideas...
Old 04-26-2004, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I flop a set I would try for a check raise to thin the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to thin the field with a set? A 4-flush will call you anyway and the other hands probably have virtually no chance of catching up to you.