Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Couple of fun hands from this morning

These happened at the same table, but about an hour apart, so the cast has changed. There aren't many players I have existing notes on, but everyone who joins seems to be loose preflop. Quite a few are bluffy postflop.

Hand 1:
MP1 plays a ton of hands. Postflop, he will bet when checked to if he has any part of the board, any draw, or an inkling that he could steal. When I have part of the board, I've been raising these bets to isolate him. Unfortunately, the table has been uncooperative. I felt there was a good chance his flop bet meant: I have two cards, and would like to be sole owner and proprietor of this pot.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $2.5 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8.75 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players, 1 all-in) </font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.37 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, MP1 calls.

River: (9.37 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.37 BB

Hand 2: The BB in this hand is a bit loose preflop, but I don't have a good read on his postflop play. I've got more in a note in white below the hand.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Results &amp; comments below:
<font color="white">I didn't have a good read on his postflop play, so I just called, afraid he'd been slowplaying the straight or a low set. He has 54d and the pot is mine. In the chat after the hand, I guess he didn't realize that his hand had been exposed, because he said, nh and I said thx and he said "I had AK" and I said "ouch". Looking at his PT aggression stats reveals flop: .55, turn: 2.05, river: 4 (150 hands). This may be the fabled river bluffer.</font>
Old 04-26-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Couple of fun hands from this morning

I like both plays. The turn card on hand 1 sucks for you. Be interesting to see what they had.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:23 PM

I think you can cap the river in hand two.
The only logical hands I can put him on are A8 and A6, as he probably would have bet or raised before with anything else that beats TP.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:29 PM

They look fine. I would have been really tempted to cap the river in hand 2.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Default RESULTS FOR HAND 1

results in white below:
<font color="white">My opponent had 33 off-suit. The all-in had something like J8o. My hand is delicious.</font>
Old 04-26-2004, 03:47 PM

Unrelated to the hands (which look good to me FWIW), I was wondering how many tables you play? Also, what were your win rates in BB/100 at the lower Party limits? Given your current 1.18 BB/100 rate at 2/4, I assume you must have experienced some fairly decent downswings. Could you share what they were? Also, do you feel your current rate is consistent with your subjective opinion of how 2/4 plays?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to lay out a game plan on moving up to 2/4 permanently. I'm trying to figure out how many BB's I should allocate to give it a fair shot using win rates at lower levels as a baseline. I'm also interested if your standard deviation has increased significantly.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:55 PM

Well, I just started having the Party Button Bug, so depending on my pain tolerance, I'm playing between 1 and 4 tables.

And yeah, my first 17000 hands at 2/4 have looked like this: 6000 hands: +190 BB, next 9000 hands: -120 BB, last 2000 hands: +100 BB.

I believe that I ran into some very cold cards and a not insignificant bit of postflop tilt. I am confident that my long run multi-tabling win rate is probably in the 2BB/100 range or higher, but that I've got some holes to plug if I want to move up to 3/6 or really start feeling confident at 2/4.

This year, my multitabling .5/1 win rate in 10000 hands is 4.04/100, and my multitabling 1/2 rate was 5.13 in 8.5k hands. These are both very small samples, but my overall rate in 35k low limit hands is 2.9/100, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that I'm 2BB/100 at 2/4 or better.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 PM

I would have capped the river in the second hand. Most of the time, you hear from a set on the turn.

aas.