Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Bonds\' Amazing Start

I have been pretty sure since 2001 that he takes steroids, and nothing has changed my opinion.

That being said, his performance so far this year is ridiculous, even by his standards. He's hit a home run 8 games in a row (which ties the record--he goes for the record tonight), and in 14 games is batting .517 with 9 home runs, 19 RBIs, 18 walks and has a ridiculous .673 OBP and 1.378 slugging percentage, for an off-the-charts OPS of 2.051. (the only players who have been over 1.25 for a season are Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Bonds; the record is about 1.38).

Before the season, he was projected to pass Babe Ruth next spring, and people were debating whether he would play long enough (2+ more years?) to pass Aaron. Well, the way he is going, he is on pace to pass both of them THIS YEAR! (he's on pace for 104 home runs) Obviously he's not going to continue at the same pace he is going, but I would not be shocked to see him end up with over 200 walks and possibly 80 home runs if he stays healthy.

As much as I hate everything he stands for, I am in awe of the numbers he is putting up.

But then again, it makes me wonder what kind of numbers Teddy Ballgame would have put up if he had taken steroids...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Bonds\' Amazing Start

i know he was small but how do you know he didnt take steroids
Old 04-21-2004, 02:12 PM

rumor has it, (from what I heard visiting my mom in Cali) that Barry Bonds MAY transfer to an American League team where he can still bat (as the designated hitter for the pitcher) but not be stuck in the outfield running around past his prime

if that happens, I can guarantee he'll pass Hank Aaron - he could get another 5 yrs. out of his career from that...

RB
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM

He has only hit a homer in 7 consecutive games- he goes for 8 tonight.

But then again, it makes me wonder what kind of numbers Teddy Ballgame would have put up if he had taken steroids...

Or perhaps not given 3 prime years of his career to his country.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM

Search this forum using the words "Barry Bonds"--there have been several threads discussing this issue, including one within the last couple of months.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 PM

i was talking about williams
Old 04-21-2004, 02:25 PM

If you think Ted Williams took steroids, stop reading this forum right now. You aren't ready for this forum, and you deserve to lose.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think Ted Williams took steroids, stop reading this forum right now. You aren't ready for this forum, and you deserve to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I wonder what percent of readers will get the reference.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:21 AM

More than three. He also served in Korea.

But he was playing against much weaker competition: no blacks, very few latinos.

Bonds will be considered the second best player ever (behind Ruth) by the time his career is over.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonds will be considered the second best player ever (behind Ruth) by the time his career is over

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even consider him better than Mayes, and I don't know how you can. Mayes is the best every I think. Bonds is in the top 5 all time, and I say that because his defense and speed have gotten much worse with age. he can still hit like a mutha, but his days of 40/40 seasons are gone. Willie was and still is the man. The only player who may come close is A-Rod, love him or hate him, he has the potential to be the next willie.