Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 02:45 AM

Default My first day playing with real money

Damn, what a roller coaster. I deposited $50 into party poker. I began quite well, winning a few pots in regular 0.50/1 and I came in third in a 5/1 tournament. I had previously talked to my friend who told me that he played 8 tables simultaneously. I decided to try playing two 5/1 NL tournaments at the same time. Big mistake, I couldn't keep up and ended up finishing out of the top 3 in both. Next, I went back to the regular .50/1 and encountered a run of miserable luck.

I was down something like $25. My luck would turn again after I finished 3rd in another tournament and won some money in a the regular tables...

So now I'm even.

One thing I had underestimated was the psychology of the game. Playing with your own money -when you're a poor ass student like myself - causes a lot of anxiety and trepidation. I'm sure that it's the worst frame of mind for a poker player to be in.

Ah well, Lee Jones book should arrive late this week. Maybe that'll help.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: My first day playing with real money

That book will help. I think it will get you pointed in the right direction. But I believe that these forums provide superior help (especially post-flop) than that book does.

That said. Stick to one game. Stick to one table. And playing with money you can't afford to lose is no way to play and play well.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:49 AM

$50 is not enough bankroll for .50/$1. Pull your money out and go to a site with micro .02/.04, .05/.10 etc games. Start out in these until you have close 300 BB for the next higher level, then give that level a try. Or deposit more money in your existing account to handle the fluxuations that will come at the .50/$1 level.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 AM

Good luck on your journey. The book you ordered will really settle it down.

I agree with the post that you don't have the right bankroll for what you are doing. In all likelihood, between your inexperience and the normal shifts in luck you will probably lose that bankroll. Don't sweat it though, it happens to pretty much everyone.

Other than that, practice, study, practice, study, practice.

One thing to understand about people that play multiple tables (I play two myself, very rarely three) is that most of us are folding pretty much all the time. If you are doing the usual thing that new money players do (I know I did), you are playing hands like A6o, A3o, K7s, and so you are constantly running back and forth between the tables. When I play those same tables I am usually hitting the fold button and simply watching both tables.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing to understand about people that play multiple tables (I play two myself, very rarely three) is that most of us are folding pretty much all the time. If you are doing the usual thing that new money players do (I know I did), you are playing hands like A6o, A3o, K7s, and so you are constantly running back and forth between the tables. When I play those same tables I am usually hitting the fold button and simply watching both tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words.

I fold on hands like A6o, A3o, K7s, although sometimes I play borderline hands like 9To and QTo. The frustrating thing is that there can be stretched in which power hands come around so rarely. Right now I'm at $75. I think it should be enough.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:51 PM

As sad as this is to say, at the lower levels, as long as you are folding pretty much all those marginal hands that everybody else plays, you will pretty much hold your own. There is more to it than that, but less than you would think against loose players.

The long stretches of nothing to play are just part of the game. I don't know what my longest stretch is (probably not long enough, I am sure I played a few hands I had no busines splaying), but 30+ hands is pretty common on a slow day.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:03 PM

Right now I'm at $75. I think it should be enough.

For .50-1.00? Probably not. I think you should have at least 200 big bets.

You can lose 75 big bets in a few bad sessions.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:03 PM

Right now I'm at $75. I think it should be enough.

For .50-1.00? Probably not. I think you should have at least 200 big bets.

You can lose 75 big bets in a few bad sessions.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold on hands like A6o, A3o, K7s, although sometimes I play borderline hands like 9To and QTo.

[/ QUOTE ]I know for a fact that supposedly marginal hands were solid money losers for me until I learned to play better. Anytime you read that a hand is "marginal", you can safely dump it when you are starting out. In a full ring game, most of these are only barely profitable for a good player who is selectively aggressive and can pick the right moves for the right spots.

You'll find opportunities to play these hands profitably later. Right now, they are probably costing you. KTo and QTo were big leaks for me early on. PokerTracker will reveal all!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold on hands like A6o, A3o, K7s, although sometimes I play borderline hands like 9To and QTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is QTo really a borderline hand? I'll play it every time on the button or in the CO for 1 bet, sometimes raising a weak limper. Am I making a mistake with this hand?