Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Default AK vs A5 anomaly?

Hello,

I just got busted out of a tournament when all in with As Kd against Ac 5h (flop gave my opponent a heart flush). To console myself I went to twodimes and put the cards through, and found I was slightly less of a favourite than I'd thought. In fact, it seems of all the Ax (non-suited) hands my opponent could have had, A5 was the best for her. Slightly more likely to win against AK than AQ, AJ, AT... or A4, A6... would be. Can anyone explain why this is? I just can't seem to figure out why 5 is the magic number?

Many thanks in advance,

Fardels
Old 04-16-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: AK vs A5 anomaly?

With A-5 you only need 3 cards to make a strait. A-x with anything else lower than x=T needs 4. This added equity makes it more of a favorite here. Obviously, x=5 is better than x=4, 3, or 2 because it is an overcard to those 3.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Thank You

That makes perfect sense, and borders on the obvious now that you've explained it. But the plain fact is I didn't know that before, and I do now -

many thanks for taking the time to reply

best wishes,

Fardels
Old 04-17-2004, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, x=5 is better than x=4, 3, or 2 because it is an overcard to those 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the 5 being an overcard to 4, 3, and 2 is really the reason it is more likely to beat AK than A4, A3, or A2. It is probably that A5 can make more straights than A2, A3, and A4. The 5 can be part of any straight from a 5 high to a 9 high, while a 4 can only be part of the 5 high to the 8 high straights.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:41 AM

That's a good point - actually I think 5's and 10's each can make the most amount of straights.

My reply on the 5 being an overcard to 4,3,2 was more to the point that if the board completely misses the hand or just the (common) Ace hits, then A5 naturally beats A4, A3 and A2.

I would concur that it is the increased chances of hitting a straight with A5, whether it be needing only 3 cards instead of 4 to make it or the fact that 5's make the maximum number of straights, that makes this hand a winner more often.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:37 PM

You weren't wrong, just incomplete, since A5 will win on 544tt or similar, while A4 will lose on 455tt etc. There aren't a lot of these boards, but even if A5 and A4 made the same # of str8's, A5 would still do better against AK.

Craig
Old 04-19-2004, 07:34 PM

i think you guys are getting off track comparing a5 vs a4 and such. the topic is why a5 does better against ak than any other ax hands.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You weren't wrong, just incomplete, since A5 will win on 544tt or similar, while A4 will lose on 455tt etc. There aren't a lot of these boards, but even if A5 and A4 made the same # of str8's, A5 would still do better against AK.

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]
if they made the same number of straights, how could you say A5 would do better than A4 vs AK? the straights are the reason A5 is better than A6,A7,A8 no? so if the straights were equal, why would A5 be better than A4? or A6 for that matter? if straights were equal, wouldnt all Ax hands do equally as well against AK?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:41 PM

Did you even read the section of text you quoted?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 AM

Actually I think he did. And I think he's right. If straights didn't count then any Ax hand is equally likely to beat AK. In simple terms you have to hit your kicker while AK doesn't hit the K. Now you may hit it via a pair(or better) or a flush, but if you hit you win (assuming the K misses, A's balance out for flushes).

The only thing that differentiates the different Ax hands from each other, when comparing them to AK, is the straight possibilities. A5 will make more winning straights then any other Ax combination, which is why it has the edge. AT is in trouble because the K it needs for some straights is unavailable thus reducing the possible number of straights.

So here's a problem - you know that your opponent has AKo. You can choose any 2 unpaired, unsuited, cards to oppose it. What cards do you choose?