Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Why are people in the U.S. getting so FAT?

I'v been kicking thing around for a few months and came up with a few reasons. These are in no particular order.

* We eat too much fast food
* Portions have gotten bigger and bigger
* Too much TV too little exercise
* Processed Foods
* Cars, Nobody walks anymore
* The goverment has something to do with it. ie. giving too much money to the corn farmers
* Too many carbs in most peoples diets

Any other Ideas? Thanks

Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Why are people in the U.S. getting so FAT?

the change over from sugar to high fructose corn syrup for sweeteners. you body proceeses that differently.
carbs have nothing to do with it. a calorie is a calorie. it is a measure of heat.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 AM

My parents and my parents' friends always told me that when they were growing up in the 50's and 60's, their families didn't have TVs, so the only thing there was to do was go outside and horse around. Play stickball. Play cowboys and indians. You know, exercise. These days, with all the playstations and HDTV and all that, no one's outside actually using their bodies.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 AM

The answer is too little excercise. A close second is junk food. Carbs are not the problem. It's eating 3 meals of crap a day, and snacking between them.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:26 AM

They eat too much and they don't exercise enough
Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They eat too much and they don't exercise enough

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't be it. That would mean that fat people are fat as a consequence of their own choices. It has to be someone else's fault, since no one really wants to be fat, do they?

I think it's a conspiracy. I'm not quite sure who is behind it. I'm gonna go watch TV and have a snack and think about it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Don't forget about the 12-15 Budweisers every night before bed.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:55 PM

Every time I am in Munich, I remark at how many people ride bicycles or walk (to work, I presume since many are in suits). Furthermore, in the evenings, many families take a stroll and say "hi" to their neighbors, or go SOMEWHERE for awhile to unwind and talk, etc. (Nobody does this quite as well as the Italians, but many European countries have something similar).

What I have discovered is that television is not a primary form of entertainment for many Europeans.

Nevertheless, I am of the understanding that things are changing in many European cities. Fast food is becoming more acceptable and accessible. Video games are turning up in homes and the internet (as well as computer games) are becoming extremely popular.

Europeans are getting fatter. We can blame it on "Americanization," but these things just happened in our country first. All of these things that make us fatter, also serve our base desires. Having more free time and more interesting (albeit more sedentary) forms of entertainment would have happened to Europe anyway.

I have read studies proclaiming the native Hawaiian as the fattest people on earth. As little as fifty years ago, obesity among these people was rare. However, as Hawaii grew, the natives began to eat other foods. Among these new foods was fast food (and Spam, or course - Largest per capita consumption of Spam in the world in Hawaii). Draw your own conclusions.

As far as placing blame. This is not so simple. I certainly look at this situation (fast food) as similar to cigarettes. Of course smoking is a choice, but was made under the specter of aggressive, false advertising which did not disclose all the relevant factors one needed to make a proper choice...then many became addicted.

Since I was a child, I have been bombarded with fast food (or food products in general - processed, etc.) adverstisements. I cannot believe these did not affect my choices and "tastes." Many argue that fast food is patently unhealthy and this is obvious to those who choose to eat it. I do not agree. Many of these unhealthy foods are advertised as part of a healthy life-style (even recently, McDonalds unveiled a "healthy" menu which has proven to be no less loaded with calories than the items they purport to replace). Furthermore, the advertisements are directed at children and teeenagers.

You can get everything you need at a grocery store if you were to take a "lap" around the outside aisles. All the staples are found therein; also the only (with few exeptions) healthy choices are there. If you pick foods from the inner (and marked) aisles, you are coming home with a bunch of garbage. This is targeted marketing, the effects are significant.

I guess if you don't want to look like an American, you cannot live like an American - not an easy accomplishment.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:29 PM

you forgot one.
Sitting on your ass for several hours a day playing poker..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget about the 12-15 Budweisers every night before bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those don't count if they are "light" beers.