Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Just Calling with AK on the Big Blind

Recently I tapped my option with AK in the big blind against 5 limpers. I wound up winning a nice pot, but after the game, someone I respect said he thought not raising was a poor play – being aggressive here and betting for value was what he advocated.

Normally I do this against a smaller field, and if there is a preflop raise – particularly a late one – I will generally pop it again. Here I reasoned that against 5 opponents, not raising was in order. My rationale is 1) AK is a drawing hand – a good one admittedly, but it still needs help on the flop, 2) If I don’t connect with the flop, I’m not going to bet into five opponents, and will almost certainly fold if someone bets, and 3) it’s nice and deceptive. Actually the deception is what got me the pot. I wound up with Broadway, and K9 didn’t put me on AK until way too late.

One of the things I am working on is to appropriately increase my aggression – I’m tight enough, but I have to fight my natural tendency to be passive.

In your opinion, is my logic correct? Or is this an appropriate place to be more aggressive?