Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Why dont people like Moneymaker?

My general impression from 2+2 is that Moneymaker is looked upon with a certain negativity. Why is this?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Why dont people like Moneymaker?

We're jealous. He got lucky in a tourney and won millions.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 AM

I presumed that was the gist of it!
But in some ways, isnt that a good thing for everyone, that he got lucky in a tournament and won millions?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:17 AM

the general impression I get is the reverse. He has more defenders than attackers in these posts, at least that is how I see it
Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 AM

he doesn't bother me at all. I just wonder why anyone would pay to go to one of his appearances. I mean I'll throw a few dollars to Howard Lederer for a seminar to try and get in that guys head but Chris Moneymaker???? I can't imagine there being enough crack in Columbia to entice me in to paying to hear his poker advice. Now those Tom McEvoy hand charts.......THERE's something worth the price......
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 AM

I would guess that those who don't like him, got the impression that he's "just" a lucky SOB who was in the right place at the right time.

From what you see on the WSOP shows, it looks like hae made some pretty bad decisions and got lucky. I have to believe that there's at least a little more to his poker skill than that - you don't get to the final table on luck alone.

I'm not saying he's the best that ever was and I really don't know the guy, but he's milking his 15 minutes of fame to the max.

His win was great for poker (specifically internet poker) because it really does promote the idea that "anyone can win" (and they can do it with "any two cards").

I have to admit that watching that show got me involved in internet poker (i didn't even know that it was out there!)and started me dreaming that maybe someday....
Old 04-09-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't bother me at all. I just wonder why anyone would pay to go to one of his appearances. I mean I'll throw a few dollars to Howard Lederer for a seminar to try and get in that guys head but Chris Moneymaker???? I can't imagine there being enough crack in Columbia to entice me in to paying to hear his poker advice. Now those Tom McEvoy hand charts.......THERE's something worth the price......

[/ QUOTE ]

How many bracelets has Howard Lederer won? I'm asking b/c I don't know.

Chris Moneymaker also finished second at Bay 101's Shooting Star tourney last month. So he's doing something right.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 PM

I don't know either. It's probably a good point meaning there probably is enough crack in Columbia. Actually I probably don't pay for Lederer either...then again I don't like to pay [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM

How many bracelets has Howard Lederer won?

Zero, I think. But that in and of itself does not change the fact that he's one of the top poker players in the world.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're jealous. He got lucky in a tourney and won millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

More recently, he won $200,000 with a second place finish to Phil Gordon in the World Poker Tour Shooting Star Classic in San Jose.

Clearly, the guy is a decent player, but the world is filled with people who are losers and failures in their own lives and businesses. Their only source of satisfaction comes from berating and making fun of other people.