Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 02:25 AM

Default Did I lose too many bets with my AK

I was in the BB holding AK off in a fairly tight 6/12 game. There was an early position raise (who was almost all-in) and EVERYONE folded to the SB who hesitated a moment then made it three bets. SB seemed to be the type of player that would steam a little after not hitting hands for a while and I had seen him attempt to steal the blinds a couple of times from the button with marginal suited cards (however I had yet to examine a three bet from him or a raise from the blinds). Anyway I just flat called his three bet and the original raiser went all in.

The flop was K, Q, 3 rainbow. SB bet and naturally I raised, and he called. The turn was an A giving me top two, and the SB check raised me. I thought for a moment and called. The river was a blank (no flush). SB bet and I called only to see his J,10 off (all-in was holding A9 suited). As I suspected SB 3 bet a marginal hand.

Was I wrong to bet the turn, call the check raise, and/or call the river? Did I lose too many bets? My gut instinct tells me I wasn't in error, but I want to get some opinions. Would anyone have played it differently?

Thanks,

-ed

Old 04-30-2002, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Did I lose too many bets with my AK

Was I wrong to bet the turn

How can you not bet top two-pair when it gets checked to you?

My only concern is that a 3-bet in the small blind usually means a big pair or AK. Under normal circumstances, you should consider folding AKo.

However, the EP who is nearly all-in makes this an abnormal situation. The small blind was obviously trying to play the hand heads-up and get to the river for free afterwards against the all-in player. In this situation, you should have 4-bet pre-flop.

Was I wrong to...call the check raise, and/or call the river? Did I lose too many bets?

No. You are going to the showdown with this hand.