Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Opening Day!!!!!!!!!

I know it's too early to spot any trends but I'll do it anyways.

Everyone keeps talking about how tough the AL East is this year and how the Damn Yanks and Sox will be indestructible. I don't think so. The bottom teams in the East are tough and will give the division contenders hell.

The Wild Card will come out of the West. Basically this means that my Oakland A's will see another post season. The only tough teams in this division are the A's and the Angels. Seattle had no heart and is old. The Rangers will suck as usual although they do have a couple of promising young players.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Opening Day!!!!!!!!!

I watched the Boston/Baltimore game last night. Without Nomar in the game, Baltimore's line-up was more impressive. But their number 2 thru 5 starters have won a grand total of ten big league games.

I got a kick out of the L.A. papers this morning trumpeting the arrival of Milton Bradley as the Dodgers's savior. The man hit ten home runs last year and has never played more than 110 games in a season.

The Yankees lost three pitchers who won 52 games last year. That's a lot of games, and innings, to make up. Brown looked good in his first game, and Vasquez appears to be a budding star. But Mussina is no youngster and might be on the way down and the other starters are questionable. They'll probably make the play-offs again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Milton Bradley is the devil.

I heard a story (it might have been in SI), basically, he is so obnoxious and loudmouthed, that his teammates hate his guts. Last year, one went so far as to post an anonymous sign on his locker in the clubhouse that read:

"Shut the fuck up and play"

Perhaps he should concentrate more on the newest version of Monopoly.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 PM

What a great day!

Here's my prediction: The Cubs will live up to the expectations that all their fans have for them.

It's great here in Chicago, the Cubs are all over the news, everyone with high hopes. Now it's finally time to begin, and go out and play for real. Go Cubs!
Old 04-05-2004, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wild Card will come out of the West. Basically this means that my Oakland A's will see another post season. The only tough teams in this division are the A's and the Angels. Seattle had no heart and is old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your style. But to start things off, I do not see much in Oakland. What do they have; a few players will occasionally dribble a ball passed the second baseman, but that is about it; a few outfielders will, by chance, stick a glove under a fly ball or trip into a grounder by sheer accident or luck; one or two of the pitchers will, if the stars and planets are lined up properly, get a limp fastball near the strike zone or send a sinker bouncing close enough to the plate that a dimwitted batter may, perhaps, give a half-hearted swing; but that is about it. The Oakland A’s are doomed to be a cellar team for the entire season, they will stay in front of the Rangers but that will be the Rangers doing, not the A’s.

Now the Mariners – that is a different story - Nothing but power, poise, and potential. What’s this slinging of ‘old’ onto the field of play in reference to Seattle. Experience is the key to wining baseball games.

Let’s get some games under our collective belts and then start talks about money possibly exchanging hands.

-Zeno
Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 PM

One question: who would you bet on in a 50 yard dash, Sam Grizzle or Edgar Martinez?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:22 PM

Everything went according to plan today. Alou and Patterson hit well, Wood pitched an outstanding 5 innings, Big Joe closed it out. Great start to a hopefully great season.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:31 PM

I wouldn't say Wood pitched an outsanding 5 innings. He gave up 4 runs and threw nearly 100 pitches. although he did get one guy to swing at a fastball that was probably 6 feet above the plate. that was pretty cool.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Bah, we'll take it.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:36 PM

Carlos Beltran is my hero