Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Another Doomed Wannabe???

Hello everyone,

I don't know how many of you are aware of this series of articles, but you may find them interesting:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...neubauer01.htm

Alas, I suspect his little dream will end as something of a nightmare. Why?:

1) He seems to have little or no understanding of the swings inherent in poker and how long these swings can last. Whining about a bad run that lasts several hours is ridiculous!

2) He's playing tournaments when I have doubts about the size of his bankroll ($5400) for limit play, even assuming he plays limit very well. Playing tournaments seems crazy, as its introducing even more variation when he should be trying to reduce his variation because his bankroll is small.

3) I'm not convinced by his comments and asides that he plays at anything like a good, or expert level. I suspect he's a small winner, something equal to or less than 1 small bet per hour.

4) He doesn't seem to be practising game selection in a logical way. Surely the best games in Las Vegas are to be found in the evenings, when the tourists and conventioners are out in force?

What do the rest of you think? On the plus side, at least it's a fun experiment for him and its not as if he's made irreversable life changes to accomplish it.

Oh, and for the record, I don't know the individual but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

- roGER
Old 04-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Another Doomed Wannabe???

I had some serious doubts about this guy's chances myself, based on the same things you mentioned, coupled with, I don't know...his general tone (if that makes sense).

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and for the record, I don't know the individual but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're posting "for the record," you might want to make more credible statements. He might be freakin Phyllis Schlafly or Cat Stevens, for all you know. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM

Default some more troubling signs

[ QUOTE ]
The $8-$16 limit and lower qualify for the bad beat jackpot which is anywhere from $20K to $120K. With 2 or 3 tables of $8-$16 going and 2 or 3 tables of $6-$12, you have a concentration of extremely talented players that would and could play at the $50-$100 level elsewhere IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand this part. Is he saying that these $8-16 and $6-12 players are really $50-100 level? Lol. And is he implying that they are playing so low because they want a shot at the bad beat jackpot? Double lol.

[ QUOTE ]
All I could think was "Rounders II, starring Glenn Neubauer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuff said.

[ QUOTE ]
I played for six hours got four book playable hands, won two of those and played some that I shouldn't have and posted a $600 loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the formula for mediocre, losing poker.

Old 04-04-2004, 05:16 PM

Hey, lay off Phyllis! She gave my wife great interior design advice. Plus she convinced her I'm her lord and master.

And it's Yusef Islam these days, infidel.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:30 PM

If he can't beat the 6-12 at Canterbury on a Friday night he's gonna have a hell of a time playing 10-20 at the Mirage on a Tuesday afternoon.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: some more troubling signs

I agree, after reading this article the guy doesn't really impress me. If I move out to LV and play losing mid-limit poker, will I get a column at pokerpages too? How does he know what the $8-16 in Vegas will be like? Why would the games in the poker capital of the world be easier than the hometown cardroom? Oh, that's right, there's an unnatural gathering of poker talent concentrated at the lower limits that makes Minneapolis tough as hell to beat.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:20 PM

the subject of your post sums it up. but take away the "???".

this was the funniest part: "With 2 or 3 tables of $8-$16 going and 2 or 3 tables of $6-$12, you have a concentration of extremely talented players that would and could play at the $50-$100 level elsewhere IMHO."

lmao. where do these people come from?
Old 04-04-2004, 07:33 PM

How could this guy make it into Pokerpages
Old 04-04-2004, 08:48 PM

instead of insulting the guy how about some advice.

Hope he uses the restt of his bankroll to buy his wife a gift from the embarassing trip.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 PM

I wonder if he blows his entire wad, if he makes stories up instead of continuing to be honest.

At this point, he is writing off day one as a bad day. But if day two is anything like day one, he may not have enough cash to stay out the week. It would be tough to write that article, IMHO.

I think you'll see a turnaround in his "luck", so to speak. Journalistic integrity notwithstanding.