Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Making moves in LL

Paradise $0.50/1. There are some weak players at this passive table and an unusual (to me) ammount of river folding for single bets. 3 limpers to me in cutoff +1 and I limp with ATo. Cutoff, button, and blinds call. 8 players, 8sb.

FLOP: 7c 2h 8d

It's checked to me and I bet. The cutoff, small blind, and the first two limpers call. The third limper, on my immediate right, raises. I call, cutoff and small blind fold, and limpers call. 4 players, 18 SB = 9BB

TURN: [ 7c 2h 8d ] 3s

First two limpers check and third bets. I raise. The first two limpers auto-muck and third calls. 2 players, 13 BB

RIVER: [ 7c 2h 8d 3s ] 7d

Third checks, I bet, he calls.

All comments welcome.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:45 PM

Default Typical

He's got J8s or 99 and takes down the pot.

He's may have T9 and is making a value raise on the flop. However, with this he won't call the river bet.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Making moves in LL

I normally never comment on hands as I am a big time newbie, but it really seems like you overplayed your hand here. No raise preflop and he check raised on the flop, which in my mind puts him on a set, or two pair at least. Possibly, 7s, 2s, or 78 two pair. Now after he does not raise on the river (any of the above gives him a full house or quads), I would put him on a straight draw, he missed and now is making a crying call. He might have pocket 9s, but I would have expected him to raise with 9s preflop.

But, I do not know how you raised him on the turn, with Ace high card. It appears that you won this pot, since he did not raise you on the river, but it was REALLY a risky play - IMHO!! I would say you got lucky. :-)

What are the results!?

Paul

Old 04-26-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Typical

I say typical because I've had my two-pair, trips beat lately by they mighty crappy J8o holding nothing but a gutshot str8t possibility and hitting them on the river.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:49 PM

With 8 players in the pot, somebody got some piece of the flop, and it is likely that anyone with overcards has a better hand than yours making a ten your only likely out. Even a ten isn't exactly a clean out, because it puts a straight and a straight draw on the board. The only Ace that you can beat is A9. I think you can give this up on the flop.

I would guess that you lost, and gave away 4 big bets to a player who flopped top pair.

Good luck,

Bob T.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:54 PM

Heh the first thing you learn when you start playing against better competition is that a raise or a checkraise, especially on the flop, does not necessarily mean "two pair or better". If the 3rd limper had T9 he most certainely was correct to checkraise here in order to pump his draw.

To be honest moves like this are rarely worth doing in microlimits - people just don't care about one "big bet" on the river. A couple weeks ago I was playing paradise 1/2, I open raised in EP with AKs and was 3 bet by an LP player, heads up. Flop is rags, no broadway, I check and call. Turn is another rag and I check and call again, and I bet as essentially a bluff on the river low card. LP calls.. with QJs unimproved.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:03 PM

Default Why? It\'s only $1. Habitual callers in this game *NM*

Old 04-26-2002, 03:58 PM

I normally never comment on hands as I am a big time newbie

I think I became a better player in large part because I wrote my ideas on this website rather than just reading.

The worst thing that can happen is that somebody will come along and say "Hey PaulF! I think you're wrong and here's why". Odds are good that it will be me doing that. [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2002, 04:04 PM

Default Fold on every street

ATo isn't much of a hand to limp with here pre-flop. A weak Ace is very hard to play correctly in a pot that is likely to be contested at least 6 ways. Both raising and folding pre-flop should be considered.

Post-flop, it should be obvious that you should fold at your earliest convenience.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:16 PM

Actually, someone correcting an incorrect idea is the BEST thing that can happen to a new player/new poster.