Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Curious what you think

I'm curious what you think about the way I played this hand. What do you put my opponent on and given that did I play each street correctly?

The table was 6-handed and on the tight side. There had been a maniac at the table who had just left. I was so focused on the maniac that I didn't know much about the other players.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: MaxPower is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MaxPower checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, MaxPower calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.16 BB, between MaxPower and Button.</font>
Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Curious what you think

hmmm,strange one I probably would have just called the turn,he is raising the pf 3 bettor,so should have better than a pair
Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'd probably bet the river unless you have a reason to think he'd play a 5 this way. I don't think he's got 2 pair and I don't think he plays a set like this.

EDIT: but then again if I get raised again, I have little reason to believe I'm ahead, and I don't want to be in that situation. checking might induce a worse hand to bet, so I change my mind. check the river.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:02 PM

I put him on Big-10 or trips when he raises the flop.... Big-10 for sure when he doesn't cap it. When he raises again on the turn, I'm going back to trips, but he doesn't cap it again. I think he'd be capping with trips. If it is a tight table, we can assume he doesn't have 2 pair. I've got to think he's running top pair/big kicker.

To sum up, with no information it's hard to read. Tight passive would be running trips... tight aggressive would be top pair. One last possibility is this guy is still in 'maniac' mode, meaning he could be playing anything. So, I'd have played it the same except, not having a good read, bet/call on the turn and river. I wouldn't three bet without more info after the turn raise.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:07 PM

I think I would have bet out on the river.

I can't see why he wouldn't have capped the turn if he had a set. I can't see him having a straight, the way he played the flop and turn. I think he has top pair. He felt good about it on the flop, felt better about it on the turn when another undercard fell, and felt really good when you check the river.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM

Most likely he has 33 or 44 but who knows. He didn't cap the turn for fear of TT and would have capped with a made straight. With no read he could be overplaying KT. I would call the turn and check-call the river, hoping for the best.

Luke
Old 04-02-2004, 12:58 PM

Apparently he likes his hand enough to 2bet the PF raiser twice, but not enough to cap. Very odd. 6-handed I would think he 2 bets PF w/ KK, QQ or JJ and maybe TT. IMO he is playing his hand incorrectly, no matter what it is. If he likes it and thinks it is the best hand, he should go to war. If not, maybe go into check/call.

I think he is either underplaying a set or 2 pair (but wouldn't he have to be a nut to call 2 cold PF shorthanded with small suited connectors?), or overplaying AT, KT, KK, QQ, JJ.

I like what you did, but I'd bet the river. And just call if raised.

You have raised him 3 times. What could he put YOU on that he plays this way????? (Unless he flopped top set and has you pegged for AA, in which case, kudos to him.)Weird.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:09 PM

I think he is holding a pair of 5s. I like the way you played it.

~J
Old 04-02-2004, 01:40 PM

I was at that table and know what your opponent had, which makes a subjective evaluation difficult.

The only thing I will say is that I have your opponent as tight and aggressive (of the 6 players left at that point 2 were fairly loose, the other 4 were tight). I also guess that he, at least tentatively, put you on overcards (AK) rather than an overpair.

If I was in his shoes I may have played it the same way, if I hadn't raised preflop. I may very well have raised preflop though. Assuming you then 3 bet the only thing I do different in his shoes is (probably) not raise the turn. Actually I may have smoothcalled the turn in either case.

Edit: Thinking about it some more I may have very well raised the turn in either case, figuring that at worst I get a free showdown.

I've now provided enough information that someone is likely to figure out what opponent had [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-bugs

PS - that maniac was definitely interesting - VPIP of 90%+, PFR of 75%. He really got my attention with this hand (I was multitabling 4 tables so hadn't really noticed him before - and I smoothcalled the flop planning to pop the turn - didn't realize he was a maniac till after this hand, otherwise I would have lost more on this one):
Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and is SB

EP1 raises, EP2 3-bets, Button folds, Hero caps, BB folds, EP1 calls, EP2 calls

Flop(13 SB): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, EP1 raises, EP2 folds, Hero calls

Turn(8 1/2 BB): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, EP1 bets, Hero raises, EP1 3-bets, Hero caps, EP1 calls

River(16 1/2 BB): 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, EP1 calls
EP1 shows J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for flopped 2 pair

Fortunately I got it back before he went bust. Too bad he didn't rebuy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 02:00 PM

There was no 3 bet pf.