Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Heads up river phenomenon

I had a conversation with my friend lurker/poster Fred G Sanford regarding the amount of times someone will call a preflop aggressor down.

Example, I raise from ep and I get one caller. I bet the flop the player calls. I bet the turn the player calls. What percent of the time will this player call when bet to on the river? I find the player will almost always payoff.

In my experience I have found that most players who call the turn will also call the river.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Heads up river phenomenon

revolutionary stuff here.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

interesting point... against bad opponents, they will draw to a 4 outer heads up, so I think the chance that you get called on the river is a function of how coordinated the board is. that is, the more coordinated, the less chance he'll call you on the river
Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 AM

I think they generally call enough to make bluffing unprofitable and value betting profitable.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:08 AM

revolutionary stuff here.

Not really [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a conversation with my friend lurker/poster Fred G Sanford regarding the amount of times someone will call a preflop aggressor down.

Example, I raise from ep and I get one caller. I bet the flop the player calls. I bet the turn the player calls. What percent of the time will this player call when bet to on the river? I find the player will almost always payoff.

In my experience I have found that most players who call the turn will also call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

MG,

The % of the time the player will call on the river is completely board/player dependent and no universal standard can be established. This is where you need to play real poker. My opinion is that the majority of the players who call the turn also call the river. But that fact alone means nothing. There are a million other factors to consider when deciding whether or not to bet the river. If we can start speaking of those, then this thread might start to gain some momentum in regards to "when to bet the river".
Old 04-01-2004, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okay....it's already been mentioned already, but i have to respond to this.
i think it's pretty darn offensive to some of us who don't make 50k or more per year.

i've seen this type of sentiment in other threads around here so you're not that feels that way.
somebody else mentioned that it's possible some people would be miserable making 'as little' as 50k a year.
huh?!?!
if you are miserable making that amount of money then i suggest it's not just the money that is making you miserable...you probably have created some misery in your life all on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the trick is to know when you are bluffing and when you are value betting.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
okay....it's already been mentioned already, but i have to respond to this.
i think it's pretty darn offensive to some of us who don't make 50k or more per year.

i've seen this type of sentiment in other threads around here so you're not that feels that way.
somebody else mentioned that it's possible some people would be miserable making 'as little' as 50k a year.
huh?!?!
if you are miserable making that amount of money then i suggest it's not just the money that is making you miserable...you probably have created some misery in your life all on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the trick is to know when you are bluffing and when you are value betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to make it clear that I didn't make that post you are quoting. I would be miserable if I were making 50K a year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 AM

I hate you. I seriously wish you would die.

Best Wishes, Homer
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 AM

I hate you. I seriously wish you would die.

That sounded harsh, how do you mean that?