Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 04:01 AM

Default Strategy Dilemma....

With the recent "Poker Boom", I am finding tables filled with loose passive players. Sounds great, but for me it isnt.
Let me give you a little history. I have been playing poker for 10 years (cardrooms and private games). I have kept track of all vital statistics i.e. w/l, hours played,limits,etc. Since this poker boom my profits are down. Over the last 2 years my profits are down ~30%.
I have analyzed my records over and over again and have concluded that my major losses are coming in games with loose passive players. I define a loose passive player as a player who calls alot and does not bet their strong hands. I guess you could call them "Calling Stations".
I play in a private game (that used to be JUICY). However, new players have come and gone and the current 8 man set up contains 4 "calling stations". These guys see all 7 cards 70-80% of the time. Common logic dictates that they go broke, but they DO NOT.
A friend and I have a working thesis that the more of this type of player in a game, the less skill involved. It is basically now a card holding contest. Anyone care to expound? How about strategys? Anyone have any? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Strategy Dilemma....

you should work on your game selection. this table is too tough for you, what with those 4 sharks determined to snap off your bluffs.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:15 AM

Yeah, u need to find an easier game! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 09:31 AM

You and your friend are wrong. A game of this sort does not involve less skill. It does, however, require the application of some different skills than what you're probably used to.

If you're not losing anybody, you don't even semi-bluff, let alone bluff. Never. You do value bet some draws, however, if the field is big enough. And more. I suggest more study and thought about these new games, rather than continued application of your old strategies.

If you are an excellent all-around player, the type of game you're in is more beatable in terms of bets/hour won, and with lower variance, than pretty much any other game out there.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)