Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 01:16 PM

Default The flop three-bet

You're playing in a typical loose somewhat passive online 2/4 game. You pick up something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP and decide to limp after an EP limper. A caller behind and the blinds come along. The flop comes down something like:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The big blind bets out and is raised by EP limper. EP limper loves this play with something like Ax spades. 3 bet here? Pros: fold out overcards and thin draws behind, get the button. Cons: you could already be outkicked or up against 2 pair.

Next case:

You've got 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP after two earlier limpers. A limper behind and the blinds come along. Flop is something like:

8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP1 bets, EP2 raises (again, smells like Ax spades), you three bet here? Now what if the eight is NOT the flush suit and opponent may be raising A8 suited i.e. you're already badly dominated kickerwise.

I like these three-bets a lot more when I've picked up a draw to an OESD (a turn eight outer to a river eight outer).