Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 03:23 AM

Default what\'s the best way to play this river card?

40-80 heaven. i have KcQc in the sb. utg somewhat fishish limps, another fish limps, button fish limps, the bb is on complete tilt so i know he will raise, so i just call in the sb, bb raises and now utg reraises, the fish limpers fold and i again just call, bb caps it, we both call. 3 of us.

the flop is Kh7h3h. i bet, bb folds, utg thinks and calls.

the turn is Ks. i bet, utg thinks and thinks and calls.

river is 8h. what's my play and why?

Old 03-28-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: what\'s the best way to play this river card?

mike,

Ordinarily I would check the river in this situation since I can't see many hands (the exception would be something like KJ) that you could beat calling a bet. But if UTG is really fishy you may be able to bet for value here and get called by a hand like 99 or A7. A raise from UTG is unlikely since it is improbable that he has a big heart (given his reluctance to play post-flop).

-- Manzanita
Old 03-28-2004, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
utg somewhat fishish

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
utg thinks

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
utg thinks and thinks

[/ QUOTE ]

bet. if he had a heart good enough to raise you on the river with, he wouldn't have been thinking so much.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:12 AM

Depends on what kind of fish UTG is.

It looks like he has an underpair, maybe with a heart. Did he look back at his cards? If he did, then check/call.

If he's going to bet 100% of the time you check, definitely check, and consider a checkraise if you think he'll fold 66h.

Really player dependant. Do you only to to Hollywood Park on the days that I don't????

J
Old 03-28-2004, 02:44 PM

Yep, player dependent.

"Do you only to to Hollywood Park on the days that I don't????"

I'm starting to think you guys are really the same person. Like Clark Kent and Superman.

Old 03-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Hi Mike,

You bet. Because:
-These hands come up about once a year.
-Any small heart is calling.
-Any pocket pair higher than 7's is calling.
-The Q of hearts is probably calling but possibly raising.
-The A of hearts is raising.
-Any small boat is raising AT LEAST once.
-Anything else would be happy to get a free showdown on this board.
-Even a bluff is only going to give you one bet.
-If it get's checked behind, which is more likely than inducing a bluff, you'll be called bad names and have severe psycological problems for years to come. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2004, 04:02 PM

I think your post makes a strong argument for checking.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:05 PM

Wasn't there recently a tribute to Clarkmeister regarding his advocacy of betting in this situation becase remarkably one gets called with worse hands? That said, I think you bet if there is any reasonable chance that you'd get a baby heart to fold. Nothing worse than having this sort of situation checked around only to have it taken down by the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and then wondering if that player would have called a bet.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your post makes a strong argument for checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm saying that by betting you are very likely to get paid off and possibly raised, and by checking your very likely to get no action except from hands that would raise if you bet or an unlikely bluff that's going to fold to a raise anyway. If I had any type of hand to showdown here, I would love to see a free river, again with the exception of hands I'm raisng.
Checking is a terrible play, particularly on a board like this. People are always trying to get cute with hands like this. Remember that next time you see some dude saying to some other dude, "oh man, I thought you'd bet so I could check-raise."
Old 03-28-2004, 06:34 PM

There is a four card flush on board and you have 3 kings. I'm not advocating check raising the river I'm advocating check/calling the river and I think the points you make in your posts add credence to the argument for checking.
[ QUOTE ]
-These hands come up about once a year.
-Any small heart is calling.
-Any pocket pair higher than 7's is calling.
-The Q of hearts is probably calling but possibly raising.
-The A of hearts is raising.
-Any small boat is raising AT LEAST once.
-Even a bluff is only going to give you one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that by betting you are very likely to get paid off and possibly raised

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so sometimes you have the best hand and get paid off, sometimes you have the worst hand and get raised. I think the majority of the time the only hand that will call you on this river that you beat is a worse set of trip kings and since you have 3 of a kind already the odds your opponent has the case king is a bit slim. Any other hand that calls you will most likely have a heart in it and you lose the single bet, or get raised and lose two bets).

Now, if you check sometimes it will get checked through. Of these times, sometimes you will have the best hand and sometimes you won't (baby flushes do check behind a very small percentage of the time). Other times you check and someone bluffs thinking that you don't have a heart and can't possibly call. Or that crappier set of trip kings will most likely bet after you check, so you don't lose that single bet too often.

Now, I think the key is that the times that you check and it gets checked behind you and you win against a hand that would have called your river bet are VERY slim. So by checking I don't think you lose very much at all, but you stand to lose a lot by betting without gaining much return. It's probably not too hard to write an equation for this river for the two plays.

Of course, if you misread the post and think that MikeL has a fullhouse on the river then I completely agree with your reasoning for betting the river.