Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Fighting fuzzy thinking @ the Borgata $6-$12

I had the following hand last night at the Borgata at a $6-$12 game.

I had poster/lurker Swimfan two to my left and poster Avid directly to my right. Other than them we did not have a good player at the table.

I decided to post this hand because I wanted the forums opinions on all streets. I will post the results later on.

Preflop everyone but Avid and Swimfan limp to me in the small blind and I complete with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Six players saw the flop.

Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I flopped a straight against a flush/flush draw. Check bet or check raise?* Flame away because I decided a check raise might have worked best here.

I checked, an overaggressive player bet the action got folded to a middle position player who called. I raised the original bettor folded the cold caller called. A note about this player. He could have any hand. He played any two cards from any position. He could have easily had an overpair as he could have had the flush.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet my opponent raised me. What should I do, reraise call or fold?

If I call what course of action should I take on the river if a heart does not fall?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Fighting fuzzy thinking @ the Borgata $6-$12

A note about this player. He could have any hand. He played any two cards from any position. He could have easily had an overpair as he could have had the flush.

Which player is this? The original bettor who folded or the MP who was the villain in this hand?
----------------------------------------

I like the flop check raise.

I feel great about your turn bet. I hate that turn raise, but he definitely could be drawing or have something else. I think if you pop him back on the turn, he'd probably call a pair/2 pr/set, but with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], would he be crazy enough to cap it? I don't know if I could 3-bet fold to a cap here, esp. b/c I'm not sure of the read on this opponent, as I found it fuzzy in your original post. That, and I think 3-betting folding to a cap sounds like a bad idea in general. Therefore, I'm leaning towards calling his turn raise and seeing what the river brings.

On the river, I'm check calling a heart, and betting a non-heart. I think check-raising a non-heart on the river is too risky.

Edit: Actually, given how a check-raise is interepreted by many people with less than sophisticated knowledge of the game, I think check calling the river regardless of what falls, may be better.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:11 PM

Aggressive player raised you? Well, I'm sliding into call down mode. I'm going to show him a hand here, pray he doesn't have the flush.

BTW, I woudl have bet the flop, but then again, I usually bet the flop.

Sorry I missed the gang. Couldn't make it down.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:12 AM

MG, when deciding whether to bet out or check-raise the flop, consider the position of the aggressive players relative to you. If they are on your left, bet out and hope to be raised. If they are on your right (that is, late position), go for the check-raise.

-- Homer
Old 03-28-2004, 04:24 AM

You guys should listen to this Homer fellow more. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:12 AM

My line of play here would have been to bet the flop, hope to call a raise. Then check-raise the turn if a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] didn't fall if I knew the flop-raiser would bet.

The line you took is fine, check-raising this flop. For sure you could put the cold call on a high- [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Re-raise the turn. Can you fold to a 4-bet? Not yet, check-call the river. A holding of high- [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Tx could play this turn like this putting your flop check-raise on a flush draw.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 03-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Default results thought edit

The player who played over aggressively folded. The any two cards player called the raise and raised the turn.

I thought about it and decided to call. I figured he would reraise with a flush or fold two pair.

River brought a brick. I check called and he tabled Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Would anyone consider folding the river after he called a flop check raise raised the turn and bet the river? His actions told me I had the loser.

I think Joe Tall's line of play works best in this spot. Reraise and fold to a reraise.

*After the hand Avid told me he noticed me reach for chips and then check.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:05 AM

Aggressive player raised you?

The aggressive player folded. An unknown player raised me.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:10 AM

Re-raise the turn. Can you fold to a 4-bet?

I like this line of play.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:14 AM

I know it sounds dumb because call + check/call = showdown. But I think I know I've gotten more out of re-raise, they call, I bet they call than folding to that 4-bet against such opponents. It take a read to make such a fold.

Peace,
Joe Tall