Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 08:09 PM

Default A 20-40 hand for Mike l.

Tilting regular open raises in MP. An orbit earlier, he open raised with 2h4h. Very unlike him as he is usually fairly solid, maybe a small winner, but hey that's not the opponent I'm facing today.

So he open raises. I had limped with JJ earlier and deceptively played AK (winning decent pots both times), so I had the table fairly well confused. I decide to cash in on this and raise my tilting buddy with 2h2s 3 spots from the button. Folded back to tilter who calls. 2 to the flop for 7.5SBs.

Flop is Ah Ac 4d. He checks, I bet, he checkraises, I 3-bet, he 4-bets, I call.

Turn is 8h. He bets, I call.

River is Kd. He checks, I pause and check.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: A 20-40 hand for Mike l.

hi clark
i'm not crazy about this one clark. i hate the raise pre-flop. i say muck it man. well, eh the three bet. no clark. just call. the river, you hate the K.

it looks like you're try to keep lively. i used to think that was correct, but not any more clark. i think you should muck this pre-flop every time in this situation. this is a can't raise, can't call situation. you just feel bland about either raising or calling. don't you feel that bland like feeling? i muck here. it's no good.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM

A little too tricky for your own good I think. He's titling he might have sixes and still go all the way. When he check-raises the flop you should probably let it go, a tilter isn't goign to think "o.k. he's got me for sure here, i better let it go" He's probably going to play basically anything here all the way. That king sucked too, but so do all the other cards, i don't like it much at all.

I used to try plays like this at the 10/20 game i played in. After a few sessions i couldn't play in that game cause i had no money. i can't imagine the situtation will be much different in 20-40 against a titler
Old 03-22-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Fancy play syndrome

Its symptoms are 3-betting with 22 pre-flop and 4-betting on an AA4 flop.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 PM

Clarkmeister,

2-3 soooooted no good, have another Corona [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Tim
Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 PM

interesting hand. i think you lost control of this hand on the flop and turn. when he checkraises the flop you need to flat call and then pounce on the turn. or you need to 5 bet the flop. or you need to raise the turn when that 8 comes and he's still betting.

that's provided you really think a: you still have the best hand or b: you think you can run him off a better hand. after he 4 bets the flop and bets the turn you have to really start thinking neither of those are the case and it's time to give up.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 PM

Default that\'s overplay syndrome

Egads! Three-betting preflop with pocket ducks, and then taking it to four bets on the flop.

On the flop, I'll just call the checkraise, and possibly just call it down. On the river, you can only beat KJ or KT.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 PM

I don't want to play 2's against a maniac. You're never gonna be able to pound him the way you need to.

The only way you're gonna make money against him is to get him to bluff off $$$$ to you. It's gonna be tough to do since he's 50% to beat you anyway and will be giving you lots of action w/ and without the hand.....and what if one or both on the blinds come?

Get yourself an A6s.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:19 PM

What the heck is going on here? Why not take advantage of your image against players who are not horribly on tilt and willing to go any number of bets with any number of hands?

I think you picked the wrong weapons and the wrong adversary.

On the flop, I'd tend to just call the whole way down and possibly bet the river if checked to. I'd rather him keep betting nothing than to try to blow him off a pair, because he's not going to fold a pair. (or will he?)

-Diplomat
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 PM

Did you come up with the title of the post first, then try to play a hand so that it would fit the title?