Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Default hand i played awful against gabe

this hand just sucked so bad i can hardly bear it. it was 40-80 6 handed and my mood is great. gabe is on my right and the game just started and i dont plan to play long. ive been playing a lot of hands and have had some nice pocket pairs and stuff, plus given the way ive been playing the rest of the table thinks im a maniac so theyre calling me down with bottom pair and stuff.

so it's folded to gabe in the sb and i say chop! and he says no i always play and i smile and say cool let's play. he limps and i look down and see K8o and say check.

the flop is K44. he bets and i call. mistake 1.

the turn is A. he checks and i bet. mistake 2. he folds.

just thought id share. hopefully he and i will play some more hands soon at a later date.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: hand i played awful against gabe

hey mikel....

ANYtime you win a pot heads up with Gabe, you count your blessings and not your mistakes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 07:07 PM

"the flop is K44. he bets and i call. mistake 1."

How do you think you messed up the flop? I think you can make a case for calling or raising.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:18 PM

"it was 40-80 6 handed and my mood is great"

Mistake #1. You should never play unless your mood is great.

"the game just started and . . .ive been playing a lot of hands"

Mistake #2. How could the game just start and yet you played a lot of hands?

"ive . . . had some nice pocket pairs and stuff, plus given the way ive been playing the rest of the table thinks im a maniac"

Mistake #3. How could they think you're a maniac if, in a game that has just started you've had some nice pocket pairs and stuff?

"he limps and i look down and see K8o and say check."

Mistake #4: If he didn't raise, your K-8 is the best hand. Raise and win the pot right then and there.

"the flop is K44. he bets and i call. mistake 1."

Mistake #5: Thinking you should do anything other than call. Why raise? Why fold?

"the turn is A. he checks and i bet. mistake 2. he folds."

Mistake #6: Worrying about this pot. Gabe's not giving you any more money on this hand than he already has.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"the game just started and . . .ive been playing a lot of hands"

Mistake #2. How could the game just start and yet you played a lot of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

He hit the ground running. Raising every hand. Betting the turn dark, then three betting, then folding to a four bet. Stuff like that.

[ QUOTE ]
"ive . . . had some nice pocket pairs and stuff, plus given the way ive been playing the rest of the table thinks im a maniac"

Mistake #3. How could they think you're a maniac if, in a game that has just started you've had some nice pocket pairs and stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand he had to show is one where he check-raised bluffed an old white guy on the turn with a gut shot, got reraised, and rivered the gutter.

[ QUOTE ]
"he limps and i look down and see K8o and say check."

Mistake #4: If he didn't raise, your K-8 is the best hand. Raise and win the pot right then and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he did.

[ QUOTE ]
Mistake #6: Worrying about this pot. Gabe's not giving you any more money on this hand than he already has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not andy, but your Hunter S. Thompson reference about mike in another post was pretty good, at least as far as the few minutes he played last night. He sure seemed to be playing gonzo poker. Maybe, if I pair up or a 4, A, or K comes I pay him off. mike was giving the impression that his betting hand was hooked up directly to the reptilian center of his brain. The couple of guys I know like that, who play well, get a lot of action. (I mean like from other people, not from andy or me because we’re too smart.)

By the way, when he asked me if I chopped, I was thinking about lying. I was really happy when a seat opened up on mike’s left. I was as happy for him as I was for me.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Default the transformation is complete

mike l.--a certified maniac who can get away with it.

I guess he was bored with tight play.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: the transformation is complete

I dont think he's a certified maniac at all. A least not in the sense that I think you mean.

I think he's maniacal in his desire to know as much about the game as he can and in his disappointment in himself whe he plays below some mythical standard of perfect excellence. This leads him to some minor problems, like, for example, worrying about getting one more bet out of Gabe here if Gabe happened to catch a bad card (for Gabe) on the river, and some major ones, like, for example, wondering about becoming a dealer or playing some crazy number of hours over the course of a month or playing 100-200 and being bored of the game.

I've spent some time, not a lot, with the man, and he's a helluva player. More important, he's a helluva person. I just wish he'd realize, more often that his posts here sometimes suggest, how much more important the latter is than the former.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:14 PM

"He hit the ground running. Raising every hand. Betting the turn dark, then three betting, then folding to a four bet. Stuff like that."

OK. He should have said so.

"The only hand he had to show is one where he check-raised bluffed an old white guy on the turn with a gut shot, got reraised, and rivered the gutter."

OK. He should have said so. He said he had big pairs and was being called down by bottom pairs.

"mike was giving the impression that his betting hand was hooked up directly to the reptilian center of his brain. The couple of guys I know like that, who play well, get a lot of action. (I mean like from other people, not from andy or me because we’re too smart.)"

Speak for yourself.

BTW, does a 40-80 spread often at HP?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:22 PM

A lot of words that add up to mike l is a maniac. Mike l, you want advice, but I think you are proud of the fact that you play bad, aggressive poker. You enjoy being called a maniac or having maniacal qualities. Maybe starting in the psychology forum is the way to go.

Every mike l post for the last 3 years has gone the same way.....play bad preflop, either justify it or tell people to ignore it. then use your brilliant post flop skills to try and turn a losing hand into a winning hand, and/or bemoan an EV neutral missed river checkraise.

Once in a while a running bad epiphany is thrown in. Hmmmmmmm.

When other good players (Gabe, Clarkmeister) are essentially calling you a maniac either say thank you, or change.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Hey mike

"A lot of words that add up to mike l is a maniac."

I did not mean to imply this at all.