Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2004, 03:31 PM

Default I Play Weird : 87s in the BB

Commerce 20/40
Dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB
Table is a mix of weak/tight and loose/passive

4 limpers, Button raises, SB calls, I call, one of the limpers reraises saying, "Gambol!" and we all call. 6 to flop for 18 SB's.

Flop comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, one LP calls, Button calls. 10.5 BB's.

Turn comes: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

I bet, only Button calls. 12.5 BB's.

River comes: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

I bet.

Does anyone play this differently?

GoT
Old 03-21-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I Play Weird : 87s in the BB

Yes... I check-fold on the flop. Why spray chips in a big pot with two undercards and no draws??

Gavin
Old 03-21-2004, 04:31 PM

look closely. he has draws.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:38 PM

He has no real draw on the flop, picks one up on turn. There's a lot of money in the pot and he's trying to win it by representing a 9 or a full house on the flop. Sounds like the other guy had overcards and you took it down. Would you have folded to a raise on the flop? On the turn? Also, if this guy calls you down (or raises the river) and shows you something like 1010-AA would you think he has you down as LAG and decided to just let you bet his hand for him?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM

you missed the point. any time you pick up a draw on the turn, you had a draw on the flop.

also GOT by your description it seems the pot was 7-way, not 6-way.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of money in the pot and he's trying to win it by representing a 9 or a full house on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the player is "representing" a 9 or a full house on the flop. Of course, if the player actually has it, he checks.

I'm different, though. If I flop a full house against a large field, I want to take down the pot immediately and win as small of a pot as possible.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM

G.O.T.,

With 5 players yet to act (including two raisers) I think betting out on the flop with no hand is suicidal.

-- Manzanita
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 PM

um yeh check fold the flop
Old 03-22-2004, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes... I check-fold on the flop. Why spray chips in a big pot with two undercards and no draws??

Gavin

[/ QUOTE ]
he's got backdoor draws, which is well worth a call imo. and i think that's why he bet, thinking he'd call a bet anyway.

however, i don't like the flop bet either. i think a check on the flop is the best move. u can call, u can fold if it's raised. and u can still be tricky on turn.

Kenny
Old 03-22-2004, 02:45 AM

Hey Kenny,

he's got backdoor draws, which is well worth a call imo. and i think that's why he bet, thinking he'd call a bet anyway. however, i don't like the flop bet either. i think a check on the flop is the best move. u can call, u can fold if it's raised.

Betting the flop is better than checking and calling. You agree that I should call one bet, which isn't really debatable, but by betting instead of calling I give myself a much better chance of winning when I hit a pair (or in this case, two pair). Yes, I do risk putting in one extra small bet if I'm raised, but that risk is worth the extra percentage that I'm giving myself to win this huge pot.

Again, the pot is 18 SB's before the flop. Right now, I still think a flop bet is the best play. But feel free to convince me otherwise.

GoT