Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 PM

Default HU, short stack, big blinds

I'm running into a common situation here on low limit SnGs. I usually make it to the final 2, but sometimes I'll be shortstack against a maniac who built up on lucky all-ins. Anyway, they always try and be super aggressive at the end and it's annoying to play against. It feels like pure luck. They'll raise every pot trying to steal the large blinds while they eat away at you. Obviously I loosen up quite a bit here myself, but is there something I can do besides just go all-in and hope when he raises or re-raises me? He obviously wants to reduce the game to luck and I might just have to comply.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Re: HU, short stack, big blinds

Unfortunately, at Party especially, it normally is largely luck at this stage against this kind of opponent with such high blinds.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, they always try and be super aggressive at the end

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
They'll raise every pot trying to steal the large blinds while they eat away at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what they are suppose to do. Head up is a whole different ball game. You want to be the raiser and the aggressor.

[ QUOTE ]
is there something I can do besides just go all-in and hope when he raises or re-raises me? He obviously wants to reduce the game to luck and I might just have to comply.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the situation is like you said and you are short stacked, then that is going to be your only defense. It is easy to pick on a short stack by raising and betting the flop. The only way you are going to combat a bully with a bigger stack than you when the blinds are so big is play back at him. I'd suggest trying to learn which hands play best head up. Like Ax, Kx, pp's, etc. And if you are short stacked, play back at him with these hands. If you win one or two hands and even up the stacks then you can change your style a "little" not to much though, cuz remember, head up you want to be the bully.

Ryan_21
Old 03-21-2004, 01:50 AM

i would strongly consider just playing hands allin. you should study the value of particular hands against random hands ALLIN. since theres no betting theres nothing to 2nd guess yourself. just push on hands with +EV. fold on hands that dont. it might be the best way to counter this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;Search=true
Old 03-21-2004, 02:51 AM

Basically you just have to find two cards and go with them and this is very true at party as tosh pointed out. It also helps to be the one moving in so move in on the small blind its very doubtful that you will be a huge underdog no matter what two cards you push with. The one thing you can't do is wait and let him blind you to death.