Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 PM

Default How do I play these

I have trouble with hands similar to these. NL SNG
I am dealt Q8o with no raises and 3 callers plus SB. The flop comes 8 7 3 rainbow. Small blind makes a small to medium bet. I would fold, although there is a good chance I am winning. My positon is bad and it could cost me a lot of money defending my medium pair. Is this playing to weak? Any help?
Joe
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: How do I play these

Depending on the circumstances (stacks, blinds, number of players), I would tend to make a medium-large raise. You probably have the best hand, while a bet and a raise should scare away anyone behind you without a very strong hand. If they call, or if the SB reraises, you know you're in trouble and can get away from the hand without crippling your stack.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 AM

Default Re: How do I play these

you're leaving out some important info like stack sizes and blind levels. judging by the three limpers and no raise, i assume this is the first three blind levels. if it's early on, i definitely fold. there's no reason to jeopardize a lot of your stack on a hand this weak and vulnerable. later on, though, this is the kind of hand you may need to make a stand with if the SB has been stealing a lot of pots. if you have a short stack, top pair with a decent kicker is good enough to play for all your chips.