Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Electoral College Analysis: Bush 286, Kerry 252

This site might be worth remembering. It's going to provide monthly updates on 2004 electoral college situation rather than just the generic popular vote polls which are everywhere.

http://www.presidentelect.org/e2004.html

They also have results and maps for past elections and I'm really struck by How Jimmy Carter Won in 1976. It's amazing how the electoral map has changed in the past quarter century.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Electoral College Analysis: Bush 286, Kerry 252

it is kind of intertesting when you look at the popular vote from 2000 and see Gore with more votes, I guess we see who really won and who has connections.

anyways my favorite part of the 2000 vote is all the wackos at the bottom. Louie Youngkeit of the independant party with 161 votes...... I think I could get more than that if I really tried [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we see who really won and who has connections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Connections were irrelevent. Bush won the election because, in a 50/50 election, the Electoral College favors the candidate who wins the most states.

There is an article on the site which has some good insights about the 2000 election. It provides some good information as to why a party (currently the Republicans) have an advantage when their 50% of the vote comes largely from less populated states like Wyoming and Montana (who lives there) rather than big states like California and New York.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 AM

Nice site! It may need to be updated. I'v found this site has new polls almost everyday. http:\\www.realclearpolitics.com

You will notice that some of the states have moved towards Kerry. ie. FLA and AZ also NH is a slam dunk. No polls yet for OH which i personally can't wait to see. Many Many jobs lost there but gay marriage could play big roll there. Will be interesting to see.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 AM

everyone knows that the popular vote doesn't really decide the winner, the electoral college does, I said that purely in jest
Old 03-18-2004, 03:01 AM

So Kerry takes Bob Graham as his running mate, wins Florida, and he's in.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:09 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]

They also have results and maps for past elections and I'm really struck by How Jimmy Carter Won in 1976. It's amazing how the electoral map has changed in the past quarter century.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carter convinced religious folks that he was an evangelical, then he screwed them. Since then, they aren't so easily fooled.

No president has ever been elected by the popular vote (although they may have received it along the way) - so my election stands me in good stead there.

By the way, the last president to receive a majority of the popular vote was my Dad in 1988.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 AM

5 leaning Kerry states:
NH,PA,MI,WI,MN

5 leaning Bush states:
FL,OH,WV,IA,AR

Those of you who live in those states, please give us your assessment of the race in your state.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 AM

Your grasping at straws now.

I have already started my list - The many ways to spend $100 dollars. I think i'll borrow Cartmen's idea from southpark. I am going to turn the $100 into pennies and swim in them. Oh, so much to think about. LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 10:56 AM

It has always baffled me why leading democratic countries use out dated systems such as the Electoral College. Britain has a similar first past the post system. These systems made sense when it took a week to deliver a letter but in a time of instant news they are antiquated. I read once (I can't remember where but it wasn't by some crank conspiracy theorist), that altho a party may lose occasionally because of the inherent unfairness of these systems, in a 2 party system it allows those 2 parties to maintain a huge lead over any of its other rivals. And that is why they don't want change.

I understand that a proportional representation system causes problems in coalition governments if there are too many view points represented, i.e. nothing gets done, but I no longer hear world news weeks and months after the fact, and the world is now a global villiage where it matters what happens around the world and not just in my own back yard. Why are my votes counted as if this is still 1700.