Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Late Night Poker on Fox Sports Net

Anyone catch this show? It's on really weird hours, and since I don't have TiVo, I can never catch it. What is it? Is it worth checking out?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Late Night Poker on Fox Sports Net

It is a No-Limit Poker Tournament held in UK.

Being from the states, they talk funny and some of them dress funny but they play poker very well.

If you enjoy Poker, I suggest checking it out. I'll watch any poker on TV.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:50 PM

I'd definitely recommend it, there are some really excellent players from the UK and Europe, you've probably heard of a few (Devilfish, The Hendon Mob, Marcel Luske etc), as well as some American players (Daniel Negreanu, Phil Hellmuth and some others).

It's not as fast paced or action packed as WPT, but they do play some excellent NLHE (and some not-so-excellent NLHE). Well worth watching.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:42 PM

I'll watch any poker on TV.

Your room in Hell will be chained to a chair and forced to watch a continous loop program of
- any and all Bravo Celebrity Poker shows
- Phil H whining on camera and showing his sex-god body.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Default LOL

LOL. Ok Easy E, you have got me there!! Not all Poker... and to be honest I cannot watch Celebrity Poker.

I admit when they showed Phil H. without his shirt, I was appalled.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll watch any poker on TV.

Your room in Hell will be chained to a chair and forced to watch a continous loop program of
- any and all Bravo Celebrity Poker shows
- Phil H whining on camera and showing his sex-god body.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] classic
Old 03-16-2004, 06:29 PM

It's on every weekday at midnight (at least here on the left coast). The problem is it is only a 1/2 hour show, so really you're mostly seeing the bust-outs. It also has the problem of most of the non-WPT poker shows that the information you get about stack size, pot size, and bet size is sketchy and inconsistent. I'll usually watch it if I'm up and don't have anything better to do, but it's not something I go out of my way to record (like the WPT).

Also, they do show the players hands, but usually only post flop (unless someone is on a preflop decision for all his chips). The announcers often miss things, which may be because they don't have all the information in front of them (for example, last night they were going on about someone having a flush draw, and didn't mention the fact that the *other* player had a *better* flush draw until it actually hit). Also, when they put the cards on screen the text is all white. This makes it very hard to notice flushes since you don't even have the red/black dichotomy to clue you in.

That Jack Arama guy (with the funny hats/glasses) is almost worth a half hour of my time on his own. I'm not sure if I believe his name is really "Jack Arama".

What I *do* like about the show (as opposed to the WPT) is that the set is just a table in a simple, black studio (similar to the set of Charlie Rose). There's no music or flashing lights, just people playing poker.

I also find it amusing that people are allowed to smoke at the table. I play in CA and I've rarely seen anyone smoke at a poker table.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:37 PM

"I don't have tivo"

Get it. It will change your life.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM

The problem is it is only a 1/2 hour show, so really you're mostly seeing the bust-outs.

Strange, it's an hour in the UK. They must cut it down for you guys.

The announcers often miss things, which may be because they don't have all the information in front of them (for example, last night they were going on about someone having a flush draw, and didn't mention the fact that the *other* player had a *better* flush draw until it actually hit).

This isn't them actually missing things, one of the announcers is always an excellent player who knows what he is talking about (although the other one is Jesse May [yes the one from Showdown at the Sands]). Anyway, what they try to do is build up the tension by not revealing the hands and to make viewers see it from the point of view of the player who is playing the hand, as many people who are new to poker will not understand that a flush draw appears good to a player if they see that another player has a higher one.

That Jack Arama guy (with the funny hats/glasses) is almost worth a half hour of my time on his own. I'm not sure if I believe his name is really "Jack Arama".

It is, although it's spelt Jac Arama. He's in several episodes.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...it's an hour in the UK...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. At the beginning of each episode, they do a 'recap', in which a couple players are often eliminated; I'm guessing this is the first 1/2 hour. That's a shame.