Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Is This An Easy Hand To Read?

I think I need to work on my hand reading. Last night at the Bike in a 10-20 game I have 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP. The BB, myself and and two LPs see the flop for one bet. Flop comes:

8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I raise, and only one LP calls. The turn comes:

J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Here's the interesting part: I bet, LP raises, I re-raise, LP 4-bets, I 5-bet, LP 6-bets, I 7-bet and LP calls. It was a little bizzare, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the heck he had. It seems obvious to me now, but at the time, I didn't see it. Is it obvious to the experts here what the guy is holding?

River comes J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I checked to him. Thoughts? And don't worry, I know I'm an amature.

Sparks
Old 03-16-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Is This An Easy Hand To Read?

it seems to me that he has 56.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 AM

When he slows down on the turn, he either has an overplayed set, 56 and finally realized that you have the nuts, or the same hand realizes that you also have the same hand and may be freerolling with your spades. Since raising on the flop like you did tends to fix a specific read that you wouldn't have the nuts on the turn, and since most players won't six bet without a hand they feel is the nuts, and since he did stop raising, I think a river bet is safe here. . .
Old 03-16-2004, 12:22 AM

One of the other nines and one of the other tens comes to mind. That or 56 (or something a little crazy like AsJs) are much, much more likely than a set against a typical opponent, so you should bet the river.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:24 AM

No. If has a set, he should fear a straight. If he has 5s6s (or any 56), he should fear a higher straight. If he has T9, he should fear T9 with a redraw. So he gave too much action, with whatever he has, and the only one of those hands that you beat is 5s6s, so the check is *okay*, despite that I'm kind of expecting to see 5s6s. Personally, I would bet, mostly because I like to bet, but partly because if he did have a set, I feel I should give him more money on the river.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:51 AM

I doubt he goes 7 bets with set on that board so I'm thinking he has 56 or 9T. All of which equate to a river bet.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 AM

Default A little tangent : why did you play this hand to begin with?

From your post, it seems like you were the first limper into this pot, and you limped from middle position. T9s looks like a decent drawing hand, but I think a limp in middle position with this hand is quiet loose, and in the long run will cost you money.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:44 AM

Default Re: A little tangent : why did you play this hand to begin with?

I played the hand because 9T suited from MP in an unraised pot is perfectly valid, according to DS anyway.

I thought he had 9T himself when he finally called on the turn. When the second J fell on the river, I caved into paranoia, and checked. It was an obvious mistake, because not even a lunatic would six bet a set with a straight out there.

He checked the river, and showed 56 spades. I think he got blinded by his straight flush draw.

Sparks
Old 03-16-2004, 04:12 AM

without reading other posts, he MUST have 9T or he is an absoulutly horrendus player. Anyone who would do this with a set or worse is seirously insane, i hope he did have 9T since then you were on a free-roll to win the whole thing.

If he had trips then never leave when he is playing
Old 03-16-2004, 04:22 AM

how can so many people think he has 56? If he showed a 56 of not-spades wouldn't everyone be shocked? I am shocked by the 56 anyway, 5 bets he could have 56 or JJ, but once he goes over the top again he HAS to have 9T in my head. It is crazy that he did this with 56, i don't know why so many people went directly to that hand... hopefully it was just the tone of the post