Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Who are these people?

I'd forgotten to clock out the previous 3 times I'd been to the Borgata and unless I put in some hours, they weren't going to comp my room next weekend. So I went. Which isn't as easy as sounds or reads. The four hour bus ride is less than pleasant. But the games were good and my room is now comped so all went as planned, except for this one hand.

The game is 10/20 and we're in the big blind for this action. 5 limpers to the small blind, which seems right and normal for this group. Small blind likes to raise and does so. He's an Amir Vahedi type, right down to the cigar. Now I have to do something. 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Okay, I'll gamble. Everyone else calls. It's a lottery.

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Could be worse. Could be lots worse. So Amir bets and I raise and it's five folds back to Amir who says "no cap heads up right?" and then he calls and check folds the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Who are these people?

I dislike raising the flop and shutting out 5 clients.

-Diplomat
Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'll go ahead and nominate this one for the "terrible flop raises" hall of fame
Old 03-15-2004, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike raising the flop and shutting out 5 clients.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. With such a huge draw, and many opponents yet to act, perhaps letting the pot build up might be a more prudent course of action.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:52 PM

I'll second that nomination and will bet heavily that this one gets in on the first ballot.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:00 PM

See discussion in this post.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM

the head of the first ballot maybe? 15 out draw, I know i want this heads up as soon as possible, Most votes 1st ballot
Old 03-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Trying to emulate Tommy Angelo is a scary thing for people not named Tommy Angelo. I'm pretty sure he was pretty not happy with the raise also as he "forgot how to behave" in that hand.

This flop is screaming to be flat called and re-raised if raised behind you.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he was pretty not happy with the raise also as he "forgot how to behave" in that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you feel this is rather aggressive interpretation of ambiguous language given his subsequent defense of the play?

Do you find any hints of brilliance in Elysium's response? (as to the raise, not just in general... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 03-15-2004, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he was pretty not happy with the raise also as he "forgot how to behave" in that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you feel this is rather aggressive interpretation of ambiguous language given his subsequent defense of the play?

Do you find any hints of brilliance in Elysium's response? (as to the raise, not just in general... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't meant to come off as snippy, but can you elucidate your reasons for playing it that way?

I remember reading that Tommy/elysium post, and the line of play that they were advocating didn't make any sense to me. And so I don't play it that way. Perhaps one day it will start to make sense and I will begin to play my big draws differently. In the meantime, my flopped 13-outers seem to do just fine for themselves.