Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Mirage 20-40: Overpair JJ on a 3-flush flop and plenty of action

This Mirage 20-40 game wasn't very good but I stayed in it for a while since I was winning. The weakest player at the table is on my immediate left. He's playing far too many hands and calling with them too far. But, he's made a few big hands and played them aggressively.

The hand:

I'm UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise. The weak, but aggressive with a hand, player on my immediate left cold calls. Any hand he'd play for one bet is certainly playable for two bets as well. It's folded to the Cutoff who also calls. The Big Blind, a good tight-aggressive opponent, calls as well. Four players see the flop for two bets each.

The flop is: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Big Blind bets out. I raise. Weak but aggressive player on my left 3-bets. Cutoff folds Big Blind calls two bets cold. I call. Three players see the turn. 8.75 big bets in the pot.

The turn is: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Big Blind checks. I bet. Weak/aggressive player raises. Big Blind calls two more bets. I call. Three players see the river. 14.75 big bets in the pot.

The river is: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Big Blind checks. I check. Weak/aggressive player bets.

If the Big Blind calls the river bet, what do you do? What if the Big Blind folds?

I'll assume that if the Big Blind were to raise the river, everyone would agree folding is the play.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Mirage 20-40: Overpair JJ on a 3-flush flop and plenty of action

hi dynasty
you can fold this on the flop when the weak 3 bets. you cannot improve to beat him, and there is an over-caller who may improve to beat you both. there's nothing wrong with raising and folding to a 3 bet in this situation. you cannot possibly win this hand.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:28 AM

is this a serious response?

"You cannot improve to beat him"????????

I'm pretty sure running jacks would make him a winner.

If it's raised to Dynasty on the river, then he can pretty safely fold. But (in my opinion) it is not a CLEAR fold anywhere else in the hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a middle pocket pair out there, trying to drive the jacks out.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's playing far too many hands and calling with them too far.

[/ QUOTE ]
He hasn't called once here though, and I cant see how you can win. I probably would've folded on the turn raise and cold call by the bb. Even if he was jamming 6x6c, or any A w/ a club he got there.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 AM

Unless BB raises, I think you have to call.

You're going to have 16.75 to 1 or 15.75 to 1 depending on whether the BB calls. It is certainly possible for the weak-agressive player to have a hand like 77 or 88 with a club, and the tight-aggressive player to have KJ or KQ with a club. Not likely, but enough of a possibility IMO to make the crying call.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:47 PM

"This Mirage 20-40 game wasn't very good but I stayed in it for a while since I was winning. The weakest player at the table is on my immediate left."

Yecch!

I'm UTG with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . . .Fourr players see the flop for two bets each. . . . The flop is: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Yecch!!

I fold right then and there.

I suppose, on the river, in answer to your two questions, I would call and call. Yecch.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:55 PM

"This Mirage 20-40 game wasn't very good..."

Dynasty, since you give us the option of over-calling the river here, indicating that there is a possibility this might be an EV+ play (judging by your tendency to frequently post winning, often somewhat spectacular hands, I wouldn't be surprised if this is excactly what you did and won), I would love to hear your idea of what a good game is like in Vegas. I haven't been there yet, and by the sound of this, I am very tempted to say "unfortunately".

My other solution to this post is that the Jacks was played by an opponent by yours, you bluff-bet a lower pocket pair on the river, got called by a worse hand by BB and had the SB overcall you here with the jacks.

lars
Old 03-15-2004, 01:20 PM

I think I would have mucked this on on the flop. I let everyone else continue playing this hand, they are much more competitive than I am.

You are protecting a phantom hand.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:36 PM

BBs play is consistent with AK with A or K of clubs. Or maybe he has 77, 88, 99 10-10.

Weak player must have a flush or a set to be pounding like this, no? I'd probably fold to the turn raise. If the bb overcalls, Imight overcall hoping he has an overpair I can beat. But if he raises, I'm thinking he had an ace and just made a str8.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:50 PM

"Big Blind checks. I check. Weak/aggressive player bets."

"Weak/aggressive?"

????????????????????