Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 PM

Default My impeccable game selection and seat selection at Commerce

Calls were made and me, Gabe, Andy, Jim, and Josh worked our way into the same $9-18 game at Commerce. When I joined the game, Andy was in seat one, Jim in seat two, Josh in seat three, and me in seat four. I knew Rick would arrive soon, and the guy on my left was a rounded encroacher, so when the one-seat came open, I moved over there. This put Andy and the boys on my left, which meant exactly nothing to me. The one seat was going to be much more comfortable for everyone when Rick pulled up a chair, which he did, ready to talk.

At one point Rick made a lighthearted comment about how tight and tough the game was, that I was demonstrating poor game selection.

And I said no Rick. If I had the power right now to beam myself into any poker game in the world, I would choose this game. You are witnessing a stone-lock case of perfect game selection.

While Rick and I got caught up on things, I wasn’t watching the game between folds, and suddenly it occurred to me that my 2+2 buddies were way the heck down at the other end, on the other side of the dealer, so when Rick and I got done, and the four-seat came open again right next to Josh, and I saw that the guy now in the five seat was narrower and well-centered, it seemed an obvious choice to move back to the smiling region of the table and remain there until the end.

Great time guys.

Tommy

Old 03-11-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: My impeccable game selection and seat selection at Commerce

That games DOES seem pretty profitable, good choice! Oh wait....

Pipedream
Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 AM

"it seemed an obvious choice to move back to the smiling region of the table"

You calling me crabby?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:31 PM

"You calling me crabby?"

Heavens no!
Old 03-11-2004, 12:42 AM

Great time indeed.

"a rounded encroacher" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Perfect description, as usual.

[Editorial comment: Tommy meant to say he moved to the nine-seat, not the one-seat. Some days he's just counterintuitive.]

Poker highlights of the day, for me, other than my brilliant A-To play elaborated upon in my thread:

-In no limit the board finishes 5-5-4-4-2 and after I check my opponent throws up his 8-7 and says, "I can't win." He was wrong.

-Josh called a guy down on the river with Q-7, queen high, knowing that the guy had precisely J-T, jack high. He was right.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[Editorial comment: Tommy meant to say he moved to the nine-seat, not the one-seat. Some days he's just counterintuitive.]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, in the southern hemisphere, they count the other way around.

hth, hand. xx oo shemp

ps or maybe he was tweakin, ya'll.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-In no limit the board finishes 5-5-4-4-2 and after I check my opponent throws up his 8-7 and says, "I can't win." He was wrong.

-

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a bluff would have worked with this guy, even without divorcing results [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM

"I don't think a bluff would have worked with this guy"

I figured he probably had an ace. I missed my opportunity on the turn when the second 5 hit the board. I was too flummoxed by your prior pillage of my chips to play this one any better than I played that one. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was too flummoxed by your prior pillage of my chips to play this one any better than I played that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times do I need to tell you not to give him any action??? Not one red cent!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:03 PM

This was particularly egregious.

I had A-Q and there were 2 or 3 calls (blinds were $2 and $3) to me and I raised $15. Rick cold-calls (WARNING!!!) and I don't remember if any of the limpers also called.

The flop came perfect--for Rick: Q-x-y. I should have folded when he raised the turn, but I figured maybe he was trying to buy me off, since A) I was playing so conservatively; and B) I had no idea what I was doing. Of course he had pocket aces.

So now, after banging my head against an immovable wall, I will dutifully follow your advice. Not one more red cent.

I promise.