Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 08:11 AM

Default KQo at low limit online tables

How do you play KQo against the typical PartyPoker $2/$4 and $3/46 crowd? I haven't compiled exact data on my profit or loss with KQo but I suspect I am not playing it ideally. Here are some specific situations that I am curious about (keeping in mind that I am asking specifically about games on the PartyPoker low limit level):

#1) What do you do with KQo under the gun?

#2) You're in early position with KQo. Let's say you're under the gun + 1. Under the gun limps.

#3) There is an early position or under the gun raise. What do you do with KQo from various positions? Do you adjust your play for various numbers of limpers in this situation?

#4) You hold KQo in middle or late position and the action is folded to you.

Also, how do you adjust your play in the above situations with KQs?

OK, so I know how _I_ play the above hands but how do _you_ play them?

SpaceAce
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: KQo at low limit online tables

1)raise
2)raise
3)id prob just call here
4)raise

if its KQs id raise #3 as well. i might not be right but i play them like AK depending on my opponents except i wont reraise if im raised back. obviously if i respect any player at the table all this changes but you asked about typical.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I can't give you an expert opinion, but I think I have enough experience to give you my opinion.

First, I don't fold KQo early in loose games (loose like 4-5 others staying with you, not 8). That is because what you give up in lack of suitedness, you make up for in that you likely dominate 2 or 3 of them. As more and more people play, as majorkong pointed out in his answers to the preflop quiz, dominating someone makes much less of a difference because your top pair is much less likely to hold up, given the implicit collusion.

I think in the game decsribed by majorking, KQo is basically a trash hand, and you should definitely muck it. Its ability to dominate has become much less important, and its lack of dimension diminishes its value greatly.

So that applies for parts 1 and 2.

3. I'll never, ever CALL KQo for a raise. If a maniac raises, and there are ZERO people between us, I might try to isolate by 3-betting, if the rest of the table will fold a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise I fold. If you're dominated, you have 3 outs to win. You have no flush draw, and not much in the way of a straight either.

4. I'll raise this. Your hand is much stronger against few opponents, so you want to manipulate the field so that your hand has the best shot of being profitable. This is by getting 2 or 3 callers. If the next 4 players are so loose that there's no chance any will fold, then there's no point in raising.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
1)raise
2)raise
3)id prob just call here
4)raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the first to admit I'm not an expert, but I think this is probably the worst way to play this hand. In a game where you simply can't narrow the field down below 4, raising KQo isn't profitable. KQs is a whole other story.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 AM

1) Dynasty says raise.
2) I wouldn't raise a good player here.
3) Fold.
4) Raise.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 AM

I posted something on KQo and AJo preflop a long time ago and there was a huge debate about it......, check out if you could get it.....
Old 03-09-2004, 10:34 AM

K-Qo
1. Limp 80%/Raise 20% especially if raises thin the field
2. Same as above
3. Fold
4. Raise

K-Qs
1. Raise just about 100%
2. Same as above
3. I may cold call if there's a caller or two already or if the blinds are loose. Might reraise if there a bunch of cold callers.
4. Raise
Old 03-09-2004, 10:34 AM

I'm new to this post, and relatively new to the game (about 1 yr). However, I do have about 32,000 hands logged in the 3/6 on Party and am taking out about 2 small bets/hr., so my experience may be relevant.

I limp early w/ KQo about half the time, and muck it the other half. I won't call two bets with it, but might 3-bet it late if; there was an open raise by a LAG player, there are only two or three ahead of me, and I think the blinds might give it up. Obviously this opportunity doesn't arise often, so generally I can save the two bets for a better situation.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:41 AM

You need to raise KQ in these loose games, because (a) you will narrow the field some; (b) you want to punish people who will call you anyways with hands like KT and QJ. And they will call.

1) Raise
2) Raise
3) Fold. I muck KQo to almost any raise, barring specific reads, and I'm not playing KQs heads up against an EP raiser either.
4) Raise.

You will see, on especially passive tables, that sometimes you will be cold-called with AQ or AK. Good for you, these players will never extract the maximum from you and will also frequently pay you off with second best hands.

I agree, KQ needs to be played delicately at times b/c it does make some fantastic-looking second best hands. But it is still a strong hand, and can be played as such. To simply limp with it, in my opinion, gives up a lot.

I also play AJ the same way, raising first and folding to any raise. These two hands for me epitomize the gap theory.

El Sapo
Old 03-09-2004, 10:45 AM

So Dynasty says raise?

I used to do that, then someone who's opinion I respect said that he always fold it in EP, and that many others do as well. So now I've started to fold it in EP. Against players I feel are weak I still play it in EP for a raise.

I agree with you on the other points. Those are pretty obvious imo.