Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 AM

Default The Low Limit Journey - Where Do I Start?

So I have decided that I am going to work my way up the limits, with the limit depending on my bankroll. I have read the amount of appropriate bankrolls necessary for different limits through "Internet Texas Hold Em". I am doing this for both the experience and the money.

So here is my question. I am starting with $300. According to the book, I should start on $.50/$1 blinds and earn about $300-$500 more before moving up. I am unsure if I want to play $.50/$1, though, because it is pretty close to micro-limit play.

I don't want to change the way I play due to the 8 limpers on every flop and 4 callers to the river in this limit.

Should I go straight to $1-$2 or gain the experience from .$50/$1? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Haupt_234
Old 03-06-2004, 12:51 AM

Default Re: The Low Limit Journey - Where Do I Start?

I don't think there's much difference between 0.50-1 and 1-2.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:53 AM

Well are you beating the 0.5/1 games easily ? If not don't even think about moving up.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 AM

I've beaten and know I can beat the $.50/$1 game..

I am just not sure if I should play there more for the experience or make more money in the $1/$2 and up.

Is .$50/$1 worth the experience?

Haupt_234
Old 03-06-2004, 01:20 AM

I think it would be worth your while playing a couple of thousand hands at 0.5/1 first. Not because 1/2 is much harder but the experience will likely serve you well as well as hopefully building your BR a bit too.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:32 AM

I would opt for the lower limit, even micro limit. You can enjoy and learn without a big cash outlay, and learning takes many, many hours just to be comfortable with what goes on. Seven people seeing the flop at $.50 - $1.00 or lower is no different than seven people seeing the flop at $1 - $2.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:53 AM

You're going to learn a lot and plug a lot of leaks your first several thousand hands. Enough so that you'll cringe when looking at old hand histories. Might as well do it where it's cheap.

And you're going to find online 3/6 or live 6/12 is only slightly tighter when the games are good. 4-6 to every flop and 2-3 to the river.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 AM

Too late to edit, so here's my addendum. I've been consistently beating online 2/4 & 3/6 and live 4/8 & 6/12 over roughly 30,000 hands. I can comfortably set aside the 300 BB roll necessary for 5/10 online and 10/20 live. But I know I've got leaks that I don't know about or understand yet so I'll get more comfortable, build my roll organically and have fun in the process.

I think working one's way up is preferable to starting too high and getting beaten back down either through expensive lessons, variance, or both.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't want to change the way I play due to the 8 limpers on every flop and 4 callers to the river in this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better start. I was playing a game like this tonight, except the stakes were 8-16. You shouldn't have a "style" that deterioates when the table texture changes. The table texture will constantly change, even in one sitting. Instead, you should equip yourself with a good head for poker; one that can can find the optimal strategy in any situation.

Now, if you find micro limits simply boring, that's another story. However, as a beginner it behooves you to spend a few months honing your play at these micro tables. It's boring, but easy (little) money.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:19 AM

1/2 can be very tight compared to .50/1, so you may actually make more per hour at .50/1. Plus, winning enough at .50/1 to pay for the next level lets you know for certain you are playing well at that level. Plus, it's a lot easier to get used to losing when the money isn't a big concern. If you get down 75 big bets at .50/1, it's no big deal financially, but it allows you to see that you'd be down $750 if you had the same results at 5/10.

You didn't say how long you played at .50/1 that you were winning at it. 15,000 hands is the minimum I'd put any faith in any numbers. An acquaintance of mine started winning at .50/1 over a period of probably 15-20 hours, figured it was a cakewalk, so then he played 5/10 and got buried in short order. Another acquaintance would win at 5/10 B&M, so he jumped into 5/10 online and got buried. Online may be "easy," but it's often harder than B&M.

If you only plan on playing with that $300, then there's no question but to play .50/1 until it's at least $500.

And I'd say not to move up until you've won $500, not just have $500. If nothing else, absolutely, positively KNOWING you can crush your current limit is always nice for your confidence level when you move up.