Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 05:56 PM

Default sets vs. tptk in small stakes

typical party poker lhe .50-1 or 1-2 table with 10 players. Loose passive table, rarely is less than a straight the best hand because 8 usually see the flop, and 4 or 5 stay until the river. My question is this, Is a set( top set even) much different than holding top pair? Especially if there it is only a two suited flop? Usually it becomes clear who is drawing at a flush or straight. So should I play my sets much differently than ak with K 7 3 two suited flop?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: sets vs. tptk in small stakes

Without meaning to state the ludicrously obvious but, a set beats 2 pair, TPTK does not...
Old 03-05-2004, 06:07 PM

plus you have a lot of outs to fill it izzzup
Old 03-05-2004, 06:12 PM

True. Still two pair seems to have a dreadful chance of making it out alive in games where any two suited cards are called all the way to the river and straights are chased like nothing else. What I really meant to ask though is, Is there a significant difference in how they should be played? I know I'm leaving a lot of variables (position, table aggressiveness...) but just in general.

(Maybe this is just my way of steaming after having my last 3 sets, once with aa, being beaten by straights or flushes on the turn or river) For goodness sake why doesn't the board ever pair.... lol
Old 03-05-2004, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So should I play my sets much differently than ak with K 7 3 two suited flop?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. For one thing, I'm capping the turn if it doesn't make a three-flush. AK unimproved shrinks if there's other action on the turn. A set doesn't.

I'm capping the flop with a set or with TPTK in this situation, so no difference there.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
typical party poker lhe .50-1 or 1-2 table with 10 players. Loose passive table, rarely is less than a straight the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute nonsense. Top pair/top kicker holds up very frequently on loose-passive tables.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:37 PM

Well, even if everybody stays to the showdown (all 10 players), isn't the average winning hand something like trip nines? I know I read this somewhere.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, even if everybody stays to the showdown (all 10 players), isn't the average winning hand something like trip nines? I know I read this somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did read that somewhere. However, if my shaky memory of that is correct, it was a 7-card stud example where everybody gets seven of their own cards and not hold 'em where community cards are used.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:58 PM

In Winning Low Limit Hold'em Lee Jones says something to the effect of pocket aces only holding up 1 out of 3 times against 8 random opponents. ONLY one out of 3, and aa is usually overcards, much better than tptk. So saying tptk USUALLY holds up is wrong. I'm not trying to say that it will not make money, in fact in the long run it is insanly +ev. I'm just saying sit at a party 1-2 table and see how many times you get frustrated by getting top pair beaten, or a set for that matter.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:24 PM

You gotta remember that a set has a GOOD chance of tunring into a boat and that will get you much $ on a loose table. Also, how many freak 2-pair do you see take pots in LL? A set is impervious to those.