Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Laying down AA to complete and utter fish

2/4 Borgata. Looser and more passive than anything I've ever seen on Party. My read on everyone is the same HUGE FISH, some a bit more agressive than others.

I get dealt AA on the button, it gets called to me with 5 people in and I raise everyone including the BB call. 7 to the flop:

[3-3-8]

Checked to MP player who I have almost never seen fold or bet. A calling-station for the ages (actually once earlier I saw him lead with a nut straight on the river). He bets and the player to my right calls. I raise it, everyone behind me folds and the CS calls without hesitation, he didn't even blink when I raised. The guy to my right calls too. Turn:

K [3-3-8]

The calling station again bets into me without hesitation even after being raised on the flop. Guy to my right folds as do I.

So, I had to muck here right? Granted the pot is big and there is also the outside chance that this guy was "taking shots at me" because I'm the only player at the table who folds a lot. Also, maybe this guy is so dense that he thinks something like A8 is a great hand here, trust me this guy was TERRIBLE. The fact that he was so bad was actually why I ruled out the chance that he was taking shots at me because the concept of betting at a player who folds often is way beyond this guys comprehension. Also with 7 seeing the flop someone was bound to have a 3 and like I said this guy just didn't bet as far as I had seen.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Laying down AA to complete and utter fish

I dunno if he has the 3. A really really horible player as you describe gets scared when you raise the flop that you have a better 3 (I know I know, your PFR pretty much eliminates that, but hes horrible and cant remember that far back). so unless he has A3 or 38 he is holding something like A8 I would think. Or hell who knows, maybe he has QQ. I usually call someone as horrible as you describe down 1)because god only knows what they have or think they have 2) God only knows what they have or think they have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2004, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I had to muck here right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:54 AM

Depending on my mood I might even pop him back.

At least call him down, please!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:13 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

"Yes! I just got a king! I'm gonna bet this [censored]!"

That's what I was figuring he'd be thinking. But if you REALLY believe that he wouldn't bet a king, then you're in trouble. The other possibility is 88 or K3. The best possible board for aces is K22. So why are you running scared from K33? If the guy has top pair of kings, are you absolutely sure he wouldn't be it?

I don't like raising the flop. In this situation, you can't be beat by 2 pair because you have aces-up, any PP is going to call anyway so you can't prevent someone from filling up, and there's no straight or flush on the board. If I'm in this hand, I'm not trying to figure out what they have. I'm trying to figure out how I can jam the pot. I'm thinking my hand is invincible here unless a K slides off on the river.

I honestly think the guy called the flop with overcards, and hit one of them, so he decided to bet out. You have aces. He doesn't know you have aces. He could be thinking you have QQ-TT.

I really think you have got to concentrate on how to jam this pot with as much money as possible. I feel that raising the flop chases people away if they want to draw to overcards. You WANT people chasing you with overcards. They'd need to go runner runner to beat you. If you jam the pot, the small chance that you are against a 3 will not cost you enough to make jamming the pot not worthwhile.

Anyone agree? Disagree?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:33 AM

I would at least call down, and would raise unless I was up against a HUGE FISH. Since this guy is a huge fish, I'm just calling down. I have been shown some strange hands in this situation.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, I had to muck here right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think the real question is whether to raise him or call it down. I would have a hard time respecting a player as bad as you describe this one to be just because he bet back into me. I think he had K8.

SpaceAce
Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 AM

I agree with everyone else so far who claims that this is a horrible fold. The pot is already 11BB, and you will get to see a showdown for no more than 2BB. Since after only two months of play you seem to be such an authority on how HUGE FISH play, you should know that bad players fall in love with paired flops like this when they pair the unpaired card, meaning that he could easily have A8/K8.

P.S. Given your whopping two months of playing experience, maybe you should consider toning down your disparaging charcterizations of others' play.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 AM

Chess,

Obviously we don't seem to be getting along thus far on these boards. And yes you are right that I am a novice. However, I have made it a point to attempt to read the best material and I try to play everyday online even if its only for a little while. I really don't think that I'm being too presumptuous when I'm at a table where UTG routinely flips up 83o and calls 2 bets on the river with bottom pair. And a table where literally 7 or 8 saw every flop and many called to showdowns with 3rd or 4th pair even with 4 to a flush/straight on the board and things of this nature. You're right I'm no expert, but it doesn't take one to lable such players as fish.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best possible board for aces is K22.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say its A-K-K