Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 12:53 AM

Default WarmonkEd\'s PP 2/4 QUIZ (#1)

Hey guys, I'm doing a checkup on my gameplay after experiencing a bad run. So I thought I'd post some situations where I'm not too confident of my actions.

Any helpful analysis would be appreciated!

<font color="blue">QUESTION 1</font>
Party Poker 2/4 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero-?

You are reasonably sure (75%) that you are ahead and MP3 is raising a pair of Q's. Given this, what is your correct course of action in order to maximize profit?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 2</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold 'Em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, UTG raises, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero-

Raise/Call/Fold?
If you call/raise and a rag hits the turn?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 3</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero-?

There is no read on UTG+2. MP2 &amp; MP3 are known to call too much. The button plays somewhat tight preflop, but aggressively post. SB &amp; BB are loose. What do you do?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 4</font>

You post in the CO.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, Hero (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, Hero-?

PREFLOP: raise/call/fold?
FLOP: raise/call/fold?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:01 AM

Default Re: WarmonkEd\'s PP 2/4 QUIZ (#1)

#1 3 bet
#2 fold
#3 probably fold
#4 preflop call, flop raise. If 3 bet I'd fold
Old 03-02-2004, 01:07 AM

1) Call and checkrase turn
2) Call and act acording to turncard, action.
3) Call.
4) Raise preflop. When you didnīt, then raise flop.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 AM

question 1:
it's standard to 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. If 4-bet on the flop, just call down instead. It's important to follow this line of play in this situation. If you waited until the turn to raise, but get 3-bet instead there--you are in a disastrous situation and yet must call down. The disaster is that your chance of winning has now become minimal while your investment is heavy. You'd rather hide this sort of information from yourself here.

Question 2:
There is a strong argument for calling the flop, but I will fold in these spots. If a call on this flop is likely to lead to a situation where you don't know what to do then you should have folded the flop.

If you called the flop, I would require an improvement to call more bets. Another spade at least.

Question 3:
Call to try and spike

Question 4:
I don't know whether you should call or 3-bet preflop.
You should raise the flop.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:26 AM

Q1 -- If mp3 straightforward and typical party unable-to-fold-top-pair, call the flop then c/r the turn. If he's aggressive/somewhat respectable, I wouldn't mind 3-betting the flop, leading the turn, and c/r the river. This is a risk, but most aggressive players will throw in a river bet with KQ or AQ.

Q2 -- Fold. It's party and 7 are seeing a flop, you might have 2 clean outs (non spade kings).

Q3 -- What kind of 'loose' are SB and BB? The answer to that is the answer to whether I fold or call.

Q4 -- PF call is fine. Raise might be better. Flop, raise w/o a doubt.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:31 AM

1) If you think he has the queen, call and then check raise the turn. I prolly 3 bet to see if he caps

2)your getting about 10-1 on your call (assuming sb doesnt 3 bet). You've got overcards but I don't think you can count on the ace as clean, and the backdoor nut flush draw, also the really long shot backdoor straight draw. I think you can make a case for calling, but I don't think a fold is bad either.

3)call, you've got the odds to go for the set

4)pre flop I just call. On the flop if your going to play it I play it for the raise. MP2s bet means nothing, and since you posted he might fear you having the 5, also your raise might force out a ten.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Q3 -- What kind of 'loose' are SB and BB? The answer to that is the answer to whether I fold or call.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB and BB aren't as much calling stations as the "calls too much" guy. However I still expected at least one of them to call the raise.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

1. I'd say call and then check-raise. This is a VERY uncoordinated flop, so there's no risk of letting any draws in cheaply. You didn't say what the BB did on the flop after you bet and MP3 raised, but I'm assuming he folded. That leaves you heads up, so clearly your best course of action would be to call the raise, making the MP3 think you have an underpair or AK, then check-raise the turn. You get 2 extra BB instead of 1.5. The only way it's better to 3-bet the flop is if you think the MP3 is capable of capping the flop, in which cause you can check-raise the turn. In this case you're getting 3 BB instead of 2. So then if you believe there is better than a 2-1 chance that your opponent will cap if you 3-bet, your best course of action is to 3-bet the flop then check raise the turn.

2. I don't see how people are advocating calling a raise here on the flop. To me, this is a clear cut fold. You got no piece of the flop other than needing runner runner QJ. An ace can be beat by AT or A9, and a king can be beat by QJ, KT, or K9. What's more, someone could be out there with T9, meaning no one card would win the pot for you. You would have to be extremely lucky to win without runner-runner Q-J or A-K.

3. 99 is good if you either get 1 or 2 others seeing the flop with you, or 5+. The worst situation is 3 or 4. If you 3-bet, I'd say you're likely to get 1 of the button, SB, or BB to call. That means you're getting 4 others, which is bad. So I'd probably call and hope to flop a set. Folding is also a viable option if you don't think you can chase people out if the flop comes rags.

4. If you 3-bet it preflop, there's a good chance that the limper folds, putting dead money in the pot. Whether or not the raiser caps the pot gives you some information about the strength of his hand.

That is a great flop for you. There's no way you're against a 5 (assuming you had 3-bet preflop, possibly getting you heads up), and depending on whether your opponent capped it, you can figure out the chance that you are against either an overpair. Flops like that are the reason you 3-bet to isolate preflop. It's possible the limper got a piece of that flop, but if you can isolate the raiser, you're much less likely to be up against something unpredictable, like AT or A5. If you are capped preflop, and cap the flop, you have to think you are behind. However, you'd probably be getting odds to check-call the rest of the way, hoping your opponent had something like overcards or 88.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:45 PM

ok, this is what I've counted so far. This includes my friend's response (which isn't posted), but doesn't include the responses which didn't give definite answers

1) 3 Bet: 3
Call/Check-raise: 3

2) call: 1
fold: 4

3) call: 5
fold: 1

4) Preflop call: 3
Preflop raise: 3
Flop raise: 5
Flop fold: 1
Old 03-02-2004, 05:52 PM

1. Three-bet

2. Fold

3. Call (Not close)

4a. Fold (unless opponents will go nuts with an overpair postflop)

EDIT - Didn't notice that you posted. Certainly don't fold. I'd typically three-bet.

4b. Raise

-- Homer