Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 12:44 PM

Default How Great is Tiger Woods

He got his 40th win yesterday, passing Ton Watson and Gene Sarazen on the all-time win list. Woods, Watson and Sarazen has been tied for 9th place all-time. (BTW, Watson and Sarazen probably hit the two most famous shots in golf history, Sarzen's double eagle at Augusta and Waston's chip-in at Pebble Beach). Woods got to 40 wins in something like 80 less tournaments than the previous fastest to 40 (Nicklaus).

Here is the top 10 all-time PGA win list, with major wins in parentheses:

Sam Snead 82 (7)
Jack Nicklaus 73 (18)
Ben Hogan 64 (9)
Arnold Palmer 62 (7)
Byron Nelson 52 (5)
Billy Casper 51 (3)
Walter Hagen 44 (11)
Tiger Woods 40 (8)
Cary Middlecoff 40 (3)
Gene Sarazen 39 (7)
Tom Watson 39 (8)

I don't think too many people would rate Casper or Middlecoff as a greater player than Woods, so it seems only Snead, Nicklaus, Hogan, Palmer, Nelson and Hagen, at the most, were greater golfers than Mr. Woods.

And Tiger had not even reached his prime yet.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: How Great is Tiger Woods

In my humble opinion, Tiger is the greatest golfer who has ever lived. He has achieved everything during arguably the most competative environment there has been in golf.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 PM

He is unbelievable. He was nowhere near his best this tournament. His driver was terrible again. I think his swing is off and he has not found the answer yet. He does something funky at the top when his timing goes, his head dips a lot, and he compensates with great athletic ability But then the ball sprays. If he keeps his swing tight and his head and shoulders level he smokes it sown the middle. There, that's my swing analysis. Don't ever trust my opinion on a golf swing. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

So I actually think he is in a slump despite what he says. If he gets his swing back to where he can go at a driver, it will be scary. He putts so well and competes so well that he can win when he is off. And he is off right now. If his career continues as it has been going he will clearly be the greatest of all time. The only thing keeping him from being the best now is the number of tournaments won and longevity. If he keeps at it, there will be no debate.

BTW, Jones isn't on your list but was great.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:13 PM

he is the new Michael Jordan. no longer is someone the Michael Jordan of poker. Now they are the Tiger Woods of poker. Thats saying alot.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:22 PM

Yes, Bobby Jones never turned pro (I think). He is the only other golfer who might reasonably be considered above Woods if Woods' career ended right now.

On Saturday morning, I asked my son's golf instructor who was the greatest golfer among Stanford alumni. He said Woods without hesitation. I asked why, both Watson and Woods had 39 wins and 8 majors. He said Watson might well have had the greatest five year run of any golfer when he was in his prime, but that Woods' five year run is light years ahead of Watson's. Woods is clearly the greatest ever in his prime and, as you say, it's now just a question of longevity to see where his number end up. My guess is that he beats Nicklaus's 18 majors and comes very close to Snead's 82 wins.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Watson V. Woods

Woods is better. His record is better already for a couple of reasons. First, add his 3 in a row US Amateurs. Then look at the fact he has won the career slam. Watson didn't. Winning all 4 majors is a real feat. Watson won one major a bunch of times and a few others. Also winning 4 in a row is amazing. No contest between Woods and Watson if Woods chose to buy an island and live with Elin and never play again.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 PM

Without question, Tiger is a unique talent. Only once his career is finished will we have the necessary facts to declare him the greatest golfer ever. If he were to quit the game today, I don't think one could make that designation.

Tiger has many life events yet to experience. Marriage, children, loss of a parent, etc. Each of these could have a profound impact on his life's priorities and desire to continue to commit the time necessary to play golf at the highest level. Only time will tell if he can maintain his near obsession with the game that he exhibits today.

But in the here and now, it's a privilage to watch the day-to-day unfolding of someone who may earn the title of greatest ever and just what it entails to reach such status.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:24 PM

obviously the guy is a great golfer right? who disagrees with this??
Old 03-01-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously the guy is a great golfer right? who disagrees with this??

[/ QUOTE ]

hes talking about in comparison to the other great golfers he listed.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Default On a side note...

How great is Billy Casper? The guy is sixth all time in wins, yet is rarely mentioned among the all time gr
eats. Even more amazing is the fact that if Casper had the lead on a Sunday, you might as well resign yourself to playing for 2nd place. Casper never lost the lead of a tournament on Sunday. Pretty amazing stat, if you ask me.