Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 11:31 AM

Default BB torture

I'm fond of quoting Tom McEvoy's comment that the most dangerous situations you face in a tourney come when you get a free play in the BB with a hand you'd normally fold and get a piece of the flop.

Here's one:

'Stars 2-table SNG ($20 + 2) 8 left. I'm in 3rd position with 2965. (all chip counts before posting)

Blinds are 100/200, less than 2 minutes to the break.

I'm in the BB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP (7095) limps, MP (1975) limps, SB (4090) completes, I check. Pot = 800

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Does anyone check this?

SB checks, I bet 800, EP folds, MP raises all-in, SB folds.

3375 in the pot, 975 to call.

Your move? Automatic call? Results later.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: BB torture

i was in the same spot. flopped two pair with 26 in BB,check check, and raised a bettor all in on the turn; he had JJ and i doulbed up.

i like your flop bet. it's unraised and you have what looks like a wildcard hand. i'd put your opponent on at worse a stone bluff, T-paint, A5c, or JJ or QQ. you can't bust on this hand and it's a big pot so put it in.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:19 PM

automatic call.
vs TP+OC you are 2 to 1
vs overpair you are 2 to 1
vs set of 5s or tens youre f'd
vs set of 3s you still have 2 outs :\

i'd call putting him on top pair, or overpair. i think you played it fine.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:42 PM

You have many of the cards he needs to really hurt you. Set of 5s and 3s are hard since you have one of each and the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] prevents him from having A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. TT is obviously a killer, but I'd figure a flush draw, JJ or AT type hand. Call.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 PM

auto-call, knock him out, that bet seems like a flush draw, plus you have one of his outs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 01:46 PM

Auto-call.

Don't play results!

Ken Poklitar
Old 02-24-2004, 02:25 PM

Hi Kurn,

This is a toughie. If you're behind (to TT), you're drawing dead. The other hand you'd be most worried about -- A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving him a pair-plus-four -- isn't possible. T5 seems hugely unlikely. 55 and 33 are possible but not too likely, as you have one of each. So you are probably ahead and he has 3 outs, or drawing dead.

Regardless, he can't bust you, and you have a chance to double up with the antes kicking in after the break. I think I'd call.

Cris
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM

i got the feeling he called and lost....hence, "BB torture"

Old 02-24-2004, 02:43 PM

Default RESULTS

My read was identical to the range of replies here, a T or a flush draw, so I called. With the range of hands I could imagine (no bigger 2-pair was reasonable), I'm ahead here about 90% of the time he isn't bluffing.

He showed 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

No 5 showed to rescue me and I was crippled. No worries, Ken, I won't play results.

No more whining for me today. Time to get a Starbucks and get ready for the 2+2 SNG this afternoon. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 03:48 PM

Got to love both the free play and the flop. Well, maybe not because you are posting this and, you and Mr. McEvoy are right, this is the type of hand that can cost you a lot. It is also the position in which you are playing a hand at no cost to you, (the BB is aleady spent money). This means that you have an opportunity to win money with only future bets at risk, the preflop pot is all overlay.
I like the way that you played the hand and it really looks like the all iner has a flush draw. (I am assuming that you called as you are certainly not weak tight.) Your chances are good for the investment that you are making.

PS: like the new style for your name and, more importantly, I really appreciate all that you have taught me over the years that I have lurked and occasionally posted here.
THANK YOU