Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Default flopping a set vs incredibly weak opponents

5+.50 S&G on 'stars.

opening round 10/20. MP i get dealt JJ. two limpers to me, which means nothing in a 5$ s&g 1st round. i bet the pot? should i have raised more? 2 limpers + BB + SB + my call=90. i bring it to 110.

1 player calls. so far so good.

flop A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

player leads out for 40.

now he has money in the pot, i know him to be an extremely poor player and he will call the rest of his stack right now if he has any peice of this, or a gutshot draw.

is the play to push them in, or make moderate bets all the way through and leave yourself some chips if a straight card hits?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: flopping a set vs incredibly weak opponents

I wouldn't push but if you're sure you'll get a call no matter what you might as well make him pay to hit the miracle card and play cautiously if the king or 10 hits. A raise to around 200 would be good.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 PM

he's gonna call? I push then.. And no way I let this turd hit his gutshot for a pot sized bet. Punish!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:41 PM

if he's gonna call any bet then why not give yourself a way out? if the draw doesn't hit than you win but if it does than he's still got some chips to play with
Old 02-20-2004, 01:58 PM

If you really do know 100% he will call with a gutter or any pair then certainly push all-in. I question your ability to know he will really call 100% of the time. I'll assume he called with a gutshot and hit it!

Ken Poklitar
Old 02-20-2004, 02:01 PM

That might be good strategy in the World series or any other high $ tourney, I don't know, I don't play that high, but in fishy LL sng's you gotta play to win. Playing scared, not to lose poker with a high set is a good way to lock up a whole bunch of 3-6 place finishes.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:34 PM

I think the opposite is true, in the World Series or against people that know what they're doing you can take the pot down right there or make them pay to draw but against fishy players it makes no difference, its almost like dealing the cards face up
Old 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM

good luck puting this fish on a hand though. he could have a King or Ten(4outs) he could have AQ(4 again) he could have the 3 hands that have you beat(I doubt it, but maybe) He could also have 50 or so hands that are dead in the water.

How would you play it? bet medium to small and hope to take some of his stack if you win, then check/fold if a K or T show up? That wouldn't be very good.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:46 PM

I'd make him pay to hit the straight but I'm talking about if you were ABSOLUTELY positive that no matter what you did you'd get called, I don't see the benefit of going all in on the flop when you can leave yourself some money playing it a little slower
Old 02-20-2004, 03:05 PM

why do you assume guthot draw, he could have a K, maybe even KT. Just because someone is a "bad" player, that doesn't mean they always have bad cards. I would raise here, but not go all in, maybe raise 200, to 240. If he calls, he probably has a piece or is drawing. I would think he would reraise if he had the straight all ready.
I say that because if he is as you say a weak player, that is probably going to be his play in this situation.