Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Type A personality/need advice

I think having this type of personality severely hampers me at the poker table. I can't seem to build a bankroll because I'm too impatient to grind the low limits.

Here's an example, I started playing with a 300 bankroll. I knew I should be playing .50-1.00, but those limits don't interest me. It is not fun or enjoyable to grind $1 per hour, and I can't see the light at the end of the 2000 hour tunnel to sit there and do it.

So what do I do, I take a shot at 3-6, at this level the money starts to mean something, and this is the level I'd like to play/learn at for at least 1000 hours. I ran/played good for 50 hours had my bankroll up to 700, then things started to turn and I started to run bad. This along with my type A personality led me to the 5-10 table because I could win it back faster. However that was just a joke and now I've gone broke 2 out of 2 times I've tried to build a bankroll.

I know playing above your bankroll (way above in my case) is a sure way to go bust, but I have no interest in limits below 3-6.

Should I just try to work and save enough money to have a decent 3-6 bankroll, or should I just keep taking these kind of shots, because as DS says, eventually one of the shots will pay off.

I need some serious advice.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Type A personality/need advice

By itself a Type A personality is NOT a liability at poker. In fact, the extreme competitive drive can be a distinct asset. Most poker champions ar Type A. However, the impatience -- which is also part of this personality type -- is a liability.

You are correct to avoid $.50-$1.00. Virtually all of those games are unbeatable because the rake is much too high. In addition, nobody can play well for stakes that are boring.

Although you did not have a large enough bankroll for $3-$6, you were beating the game. You did not beat $5-$10. The reasons for not beating it MAY include your small bankroll, but could include a much more important factor: You may not have sufficient skill to beat the tougher game. If you cannot beat a game, it does not matter how big your bankroll is.

My advice is quite simple. Stick with $3-$6 until you have beaten it for at least $6 per hour for 1,000 hours. Then try $5-$10, but only in the softest games. That is, keep $3-$6 as your primary game, but take occasional trips to the larger game.

If you don't beat the larger game, stay in the smaller one for as long as it takes. It is far, far better to beat a little game than to lose in a big one.

This subject was covered in a series I wrote for Poker Digest called "Should you move up?" If you post your email, I'll send you copies.

Al
Old 08-15-2002, 02:29 PM

when i started, i 'took' shots. even at the smaller stakes. i didnt have a full roll to play, but once i had a session roll, id play.

understand, youll usually bust out a couple times til you start building it up.

like DS says, eventually it will come around. though a full BR is nice to have in the wings, its not mandatory. it can help psychologically though.

however, once i built a roll, i kept it seperate from my other accounts. the basic idea is to build the roll to adequate level, then build more from there. anything i won when starting went back into the roll until i reached the set level.

i wont play the matchstick tables for the precise reason you stated. im not into grinding for $1-2 an hour. i want more return for my time spent. and my time is worth alot more than that.

some ideas...

b
Old 08-15-2002, 06:16 PM

Al-

Could I get a copy of the series? My email is jn110@hotmail.com.

Thanks a lot,

John
Old 08-15-2002, 11:34 PM

Default Moving Up

Alan's series on "moving up" is full of insightful observations and provides some excellent advice on how to proceed. It is required reading for all of us that want to improve and move up to higher limits. Babe
Old 08-16-2002, 02:53 AM

I also would like a copy. Thank you!

Inthacup@aol.com
Old 08-16-2002, 09:34 AM

Your type A beliefs and behaviors are exactly what you need at this point because if you don't have at least $4,000 to play 10-20, you don't really have a bankroll. So keep running your Type A beliefs and behaviors in this area of your life until you get a bankroll.

Work and save up to a $1000 bankroll and play 5-10. Since this is not a safe capitalization for this limit, don't be shocked if you get broke a few times. This is tuition money. Keep learning. Persevere. Eventually you will get a streak that will put you over the hump. And by playing at stakes where your opponents have at least some skill (which will result in you thinking and playing at a more sophisticated level than if you did grinding against those 1-2 players), you'll be more ready.

Do not waste your time down at those very low limits. First of all, the rake there is next to impossible to beat. And because the stakes are so low, your opponents are playing at such a low level also. Thus, you're bound to learn and groove the wrong playing habits.

While you're saving, read, read, and read some more. Keep visiting these forums and learn as much as you can from the debates and interchanges.

Your Type A beliefs, habits, behaviors, and urges have a positive intention for you. And they're trying to send you a message. It seems to me that their message is: Don't waste your time playing limits that are inconsequential. Play at limits where you will be challenged. JMO

Old 08-16-2002, 01:46 PM

Thanks for responding, I thought I was doing good at the 3-6, however after I lost about 300 of my 700, this is where my impatience got to me. I know my mistake was trying to jump to a bigger game. But, like you said, I'm so competitive, I wanted to win it back and I wanted it NOW. I think this type of thinking is what got me in trouble, twice.

I don't think I would have make the same mistake if my bankroll was 3000 and I lost 300. But, when I lost almost half, I start to get impatient.

However, I was wondering what others suggested on how to get my bankroll big enough for 3-6. Im thinking about just not playing for a while and keep studying, at the same time working to save enough to play safely ($1800).

As for the series on Moving Up, I believe I have, it, or at least I should. I have all the issues of Poker Digest for the last two years they were in business. I will look through them tonight, and if I can't find it I'll ask you to email me. Do you know by chance what Month or issue it started in?

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the advice Bernie. I think I'm split over what to do.

I can either stop playing for a while and save up about 2k. Or just keep taking these kind of shots hoping to hit a good streak.

My only problem is, I hate playing on scared money. Maybe I could keep two seperate accounts and put all my extra money in my bankroll savings, but still set 50 here and 50 there aside to have a session bankroll. Then, if I win I can just put it all into my banroll savings.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the advice Jedi, I think I can save about 2k by the 1st of the year, then I'll have and adaquate 3-6 bankroll. I just want to play this limit with a decent bankroll and continue to learn and get better.

Bishop Shakur