Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Ouch, technical rule bit me

It could be argued I am the only thing that hurt myself, which may be true, but heres what happened when I forgot about a poker rule:
In a 1 table sit and go with 5 left. Im third in chips with about T2000. The two short stacks at the table have less than T700. UTG I get QQ. I raise the 150 BB to T450. Short stack moves in for 605, Chip leader on button calls. (Chip leader has called off alot of chips in the late rounds). Back around to me, my intention is to raise all in, thinking that both the short stack and the chip leader are holding A-x at best. Hopefully they are holding one ace each and Ill only be up against 2 outs, have a nice stack and be in the money by taking both out or getting the chip leader to fold by moving the rest of my money in. The problem is, I cant reraise all in b/c the short stack only raised his last T205, T95 short of what is needed to reopen the betting round. I am forced to only call and the flop comes with two aces. This is definitely a scare flop to me, I check and the chip leader moves me all in for my last 1,300. I fold the QQ thinking for sure Im beat, and he wins with 66. My thinking was on folding was I was very sure I was beaten...though in hindsight I was wrong, that I had nearly 10 BB's left to move in with, and Id only have to wait 1 more short stacked player out to get in the money. Im still unsure whether I would fold that same hand again. How many people go ahead and call the all in here?
Either way, had I been able to move all in like I wanted, I would have won a nice pot and been in the money... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Ouch, technical rule bit me

That sucks, but its always something you need to consider when betting into a short stack looking to take a stand. If you min raise to 300, and the shortstack decided to take a stand and go all-in, you can know reopen the betting with a bigg reraise. Of course its risky, so in this case I'd be mor elikely just to make a larger initial bet.

If either of the shortstacks are gonna call a 450 bet they will go all in with a 700 bet, but you will keep usually keep the big stack out of the hand for the bigger bet.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:52 PM

I had similar situation today on Party. I don't recall this ever being the enforced rule before the sw upgrade ? In the past I think it allowed a raise of any size did it now ?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:36 PM

Not sure, but I do know that out of over 100 tournies, this was the first time Ive ever had it happen, and Im sure this type of situation has come up on me before. At least I would have thought it had.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:43 PM

I've played on Party for quite a while and this has always been the rule. As far as I know it is the same at all of the sites and is enforced by code, never arbitrary. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] good luck to you and remember, only the best players are laying down the winners. The weaker always call.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:24 AM

The same thing happened to me last night and I ended up calling PP for an explanation which I never got.

I flopped a set in MP with a good sized stack in a 3 handed pot but the flop was 2 suited. First guy (who had 220 chips) checks. I min. bet 200, the guy behind me (with more chips than me) calls. The short stack calls all-in and the only options I get are to call 20 or fold. I went balistic but I ended up winning the pot anyway and doubling up in the process so I guess that calmed me down a little.